Windows fading in and out rapidly

Avrami

Registered
For the past two days my Mac has been acting horribly. I'll be typing in email or on Mellel or Nisus, having a number of windows open, and all of a sudden they'll all begin to fade in and out rapidly. I can't do anything to stop it, having tried with the mouse, clicking it, and also to escape, but nothing. It'll stop on its own after 30 seconds or so.

Virus?

What can I do?

Avrami

Keep Console open. When the application windows fade, there should be something generated in them while this happens.

Avrami,

Welcome to MacOSX.com!

What virus? There are no viruses for OS X that I've seen announced. There are a couple handfuls of worms and trojans, but I don't remember them causing flickering windows.

Sounds like a faulty mouse or trackpad button to me. Just a thought.

Please tell us what model Mac you have, the operating system version (e.g. 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard), how much memory, what applications and utilities you have running, etc. You can find the operating system version and memory by clicking the Apple menu, and clicking "About this Mac" from the menu. You can tell the model of your mac (probably) by looking on the Mac itself. If not, describe it to us, laptop or desktop, shape, color. (I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Some people aren't sure of the model.)

Good luck!

Bot

Back