Windows Networking Madness with VPC

Richman67

Registered
Hiya All,

I know this is a windows question, BUT, it's almost impossible to slough through the chaff on this in the normal channels...

I have a 12" PB networked to a PC with Windoze XP Pro. In the past, I have run VPC 6.1 with virtual switch turned on, so as to be able to network my VPC to my PC desktop box, also running XP Pro. I also have a Windows 98 profile on VPC. This is all connected through a linksys router.

Windows 98 to the XP Desktop & vice versa works fine, even when most people say it shouldn't...go figure..

My big problem is the VPC XP to the desktop XP (figures). When I browse through the workgroup computers (yes, they are all the same workgroup) from my desktop PC, I can see the desktop, the OS X share but not my VPC XP. If I search for the computer using find, I can find it, and access all shared items on the VPC...its just not showing up on the workgroup computers display.

OTOH, from the VPC XP, I can see and browse the desktop XP shares fine. No problems....

Any ideas?

Bah, my next desktop is going to be a G5...enough of this windows crap :(

Best,
Rich

This is the same with my system. I think the reason lies on the network settings of your mac that the emulated winXP is using. I don't see a problem in this, since you can access the clients using search. Make alias of all clients so you won't need to browse for them anymore.

Hiya Zammy, good to talk to ya again...

Thats what I wound up doing... Makes it hard to print to windows, though...annoying, not impossible.

Did you ever upgrade to VPC 7? If you did, any comments? I use VPC a bit on the road, and wouldn't mind a bump in the speed. Unfortunately I had to switch back to XP bloatware because of a new piece of software I use. Man, my XP image is something like 4 gigs, as opposed to the 1 gig for the 98 image (ran much faster to boot, too).

Best,
Rich

Yeah, the speed is really not very satisfying to me as well. I didn't yet upgrade to version 7. Don't really see the point for paying 129Euro just to gain G5 support for my G4 mac. As I heard, the speed bump seems to be very decent.

Back