Wiping out all traces

Lyra

Registered
I gave my previous G4 to my daughter (well, I sold it to her, but she still owes me for it) at the end of last year. Now she's leaving the UK to live in France (some people will do anything to avoid paying their debts) and wants to sell it.

Because it was staying in the family, I didn't bother much about what information I left on it. Obviously I wouldn't want anyone else getting hold of stuff like passwords or bank details, though, so I'm wondering what's the most effective way of clearing everything off the hard drive - will just doing a clean system reinstall do it (as well as dumping browsers and mail apps first)? Or is there a better way?

Simply reformatting the drive does not physically remove your personal data from the drive.

You'll need to use a disk utility that will zero out the drive; that is, write 0 to all sectors on the drive.

I believe OS X's Disk Utility has an option to do this.

Doug

Originally posted by dktrickey
Simply reformatting the drive does not physically remove your personal data from the drive.

You'll need to use a disk utility that will zero out the drive; that is, write 0 to all sectors on the drive.

I believe OS X's Disk Utility has an option to do this.

I'm an idiot - of course it does. Thanks. I've never had to sell one on before, so I've never had to worry about personal data.

Back