Wireless Networking Help

Brewster

Registered
I have an AirPort ready iMac (Summer 2000) and the ethernet port doesn't work for some reason. It hasn't for at least 9 months and it will cost about $150 to fix. This is really annoying because I have Verizon DSL and I have to use my 7100 to go on the internet. I haven't been able to find any OS X compatable USB-Ethernet adapters. Anyway, my sister is getting a used titanium powerbook in a few weeks and I thought it would be a good idea to have a wireless network so I can go on the net on my iMac and she can too on her tiBook. AirPort is too expensive so I was wondering if a can use just any PC 802.11b card in the iMac and TiBook and then get like a D-link wireless router or something. I already have a regular router so can i just buy an access point? Please help me out. Thanks. -Kevin Brewster

An AirPort card is all that will work in your iMac, you should be able to use a PCMCIA WiFi card with your PowerBook. You can use AirPort cards with 3rd party wireless routers and access points. I use mine with a Netgear access point.

You can use some PC WiFi cards with the iBook and Ti Book but it will take some work to get them running unless you get a Mac supported card and those are usually just as expensive as the Airport if not more so.

As for the iMac, I'm afraid you're stuck with the Airport card because it has to use the built in antenna of the iMac to work.

Long and short of it, you may not save much, or any, money with the Airport solution but you gain loads of flexibility.

BTW, I've never peeked inside at the iMac ethernet solution. I'm wondering if this is a special card or is hardwired to the motherboard. If you or someone you know is comfortable peeking inside, you might find you are able to replace this yourself. Then it's a matter of buying the card from Appl, a dealer, or, maybe, on Ebay.

Good luck!

The iMac only has a connector inside it for an Airport card, so you'll have to get one if you want to use the wireless network.

Hope this helps, I have a Linksys wireless access point and a Linksys 802.11b wireless card in my TiBook G4 and a Lucent WaveLAN card (now Agere or Orinoco something like that...) 802.11b card installed on my wifes Lombard G3. I'm using a third party open source driver (http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net) and all works like a charm!

I have noticed that while non-Airport wireless cards and access points are generally more expensive than Airport when they are new, the used ones listed on eBay are quite a lot cheaper. You can get a PCMCIA WiFi card on eBay for about $30, and a base for around $50. On the other hand, Airport is about $80 for a card, and about $120 for a base. This is still a lot cheaper than new though.

Back