Working In Os 9 After Using Classic In Os X

Pippi

Registered
Hello!

I have an oldish Power Mac G4 with its hardrive divided in two, in one of them I have OS 9.2.2 and in another OS X 10.2.8. I still mostly work in OS 9, but yesterday I tried Classic in OS X enviroment for the first time, just to test if it works. Everything worked perfectly.

Today I went back to OS 9 and strange things begun to happen. Now I can't open files like I used to, clicking them twice, because a message appears saying "can't open the file 'cause can't find the application needed". Dropping the file icon into the application alias on the desktop opens just fine. When trying to open a Word-document, a message appears saying "can't open the application, 'cause Mac OS X 10.2.8 is needed to open Word".

Have I done something wrong when using Classic?
Seems like OS 9 doesn't recognise the applications, or could it be a Finder issue? I have run both System Works Disk Doctor in OS 9 and Tech Tool Pro in OS X and neither found anything wrong.

Any clue where I could try to find the problem?

'... hardrive divided in two' - by this are we to assume, you have a single hard disk drive - with two partitions? I will assume such, for now.

'... in one of them I have OS 9.2.2 and in another OS X 10.2.8. I still mostly work in OS 9, but yesterday I tried Classic in OS X enviroment for the first time, just to test if it works. Everything worked perfectly.'; yes - but if the MacOS X 10.2.8 partition does not have System 9.2.2 installed on it, chances are you were prompted to allow MacOS X to add some files to System 9.2.2's 'System Folder' for use (as 'Classic') under MacOS X.
MacOS X adds - 'Classic Support UI', 'Classic Support', and 'Classic' to the System 9.2.2's 'System Folder'.

'Have I done something wrong when using Classic?', the files are now assigned such to cause a MacOS X application to be launched and the file opened from within it.

'Any clue where I could try to find the problem?', it is not really a problem; but, a way MacOS X has assigned the (originally created System 9.2.2 files) to a MacOS X application.

Try this - boot to System 9.2.2, launch a System 9.2.2 application capable of opening and editing the file, which creates the "cause can't find the application needed" error, and from the 'File, Open...' menu item navigate to the file and open it. Edit the file and save it.
Now, quit the application and locate the just edited file (via 'Finder'); double click on the file - does it now launch the System 9.2.2 application and is display properly?

Back