Xbox360, Airport Extreme, WEP, DNS failure and general misery and strife...

sophistre

Registered
This IS a Mac-related question, I swear...it just happens to revolve a lot around my xbox, as well.

Well, I should give just a little bit of background first: yesterday, my Live connection stopped working when my wireless internet was at full signal, and after some poking around, I realized that my xbox has been sucking the life out of somebody else's wireless for a while. Going into the network selector, I saw that the xbox recognized my SSID, as well as the fact that it was WEP protected. I selected the network, and it asked me for my password; upon entering my password, the xbox returned with a menu that said that the key I had entered wasn't valid. I know for a fact that it's correct, since I enter it on my G4 powerbook all the time. I tried to access my base station using the Airport Admin Utility just to see that everything was hunky-dory, but it gave me an error, and I had no luck (am not even sure that it would've helped, anyway).

I searched everywhere online for an answer as to why the password I was providing wasn't acceptable, but came up dry, so I decided to hard-reset my Airport Extreme as a last resort and see if that solved the problem. It did, to an extent: the xbox now says that it is connected to my wireless and that it can confirm an IP address, but when it gets to the next test, for the DNS, it fails. I have power-cycled everything about a thousand times now, and additionally my signal is now available to my whole building, which is something I'm not thrilled about, either (but my Airport Admin Utility asks me for a password whenever I try to access the base station, and as far as I know, it shouldn't require one anymore...).

I'm feeling like quite the clueless user, here. If anybody has suggestions for me, I'd *really* appreciate the help! Thanks!

-maggie.

what are you using to receive your wireless signal on the xbox.
is it the wireless adaptor? if it is they are rubbish.

Constructive advice might be better.......

Firstly I would have to argue that the Xbox 360 wireless adapter works very well on my setup and I have had no problems with it at all.

As for the DNS issue the entry for it should be the same as the IP address for the wireless unit, I cannot remember if you can set it manually I will check my setup tonight report tomorrow.

Can you reset the Airport base station to factory default settings ? It does sound like something has got screwed at that end. If you get anymore info let me know.

I wasn't aware until recently that this post had been moved to the forums - yeek. My xbox live still isn't working for me, though.

I did reset my base station, but I'm suspecting that there's something screwy with it anyway, since I can't access the airport admin utility via my laptop. I guess my best option at this point is going to be taking everything to the Mac store and having them check the base station out for me. :/

I would definitely get them to check the base station out, it sounds as if it may be at least part of the problem. You could see if you know anyone who has a wireless unit that you could try in its place before you took it in so you could at least rule it out before spending any money.

Back