XDarwin IRC app

Da'iMacDaddy

Unix Newb.
Anyone know of a good (good = free) IRC client for XDarwin. I'm brand new to this stuff and it would be nice if the apps site had step by step instructions if i doesnt have an installer.

Thanx for any suggestions

I'm off to search google

my friend likes xchat for his built from scratch linux machine and it's availible through fink. I am not much of an IRC person but I recall using it once and it worked so that's always good news.

when i try to use irc to connect to a server such as irc.macosx.com i get some thing that says Segmentation fault and i get booted back to the command line .... any help here?

Use fink to install BitchX. That's my suggestion.. it uses NO resources to speak of and it's got more features than you could shake a stick at even if you had a Automatic Stick Shaker (tm).

Sort of related, I tried to install xchat, I have XDarwin installed as well as the Apple Developer tools. I do 'fink install xchat', it asks for a variety of options, when it gets to libungif it can't find it. So I downloaded it manually and tried installing it. When I do ./configure --host=powerpc-darwin-5.5 it gives an error about giving the host type when using --no-verify with ltconfig. I looked at the configure file but couldn't find where I could add some kind of option to ltconfig. If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is partly why I recommended BitchX: I couldn't get xchat to work, no matter what voodoo I tried. Even when I did get it all installed, it crashed *really alot*.

i love bitchx, but i cant always seem to get everything to display correctly using arial or any of the other fonts i have tried for terminal

any suggestions?

I noticed that BitchX in Terminal won't show ANSI correctly, does Terminal have ANSI emulation?

I tried BitchX and got terminal filled with "bats" same with Irssi (installed and compiled via fink) and Epic4. I found a better alternative: Blackend. A port is available via http://macosx.forked.net in networking section. You'll need a script to use multiple channels. I'd suggest PhoenixII (it needs some cleaning, it has the same code three times over...) or a derivative.

Back