XP and Imac g3 wirelss oh yeah add a tiger HELP!

Dan Imac G3

Registered
Here is what I got.
I want to take my house inot the wirelss world, cause I dont want to run wires all over the place, just got a G3 600 with dvd and my question is can i get a compusa (wireless router) -g- setup and put the wireless card into the pc and then put a wireless doggle into the G3.

Can this be done?

Do i just by and Tiger will do the rest?

Any Tricks?

Thanks
Dan

Yes it can be done, and as you described.
Tiger is just an operating system and won't add wireless capability unless the hardware is there already and compatible.
I don't know compusa routers.
My trick (tip!) is: Do some research. All routers are not the same. Have a look in hardware forums and find out which are the better ones before you buy. Some have unreliable wireless and need constant rebooting (My previous Netgear router!)

IEEE 802.11g and 802.11b are standards, so if the compusa routers say that they have that support than it should work with any 802.11g or 802.11b wireless NIC. I try not to use the "burst" technologies that boost the speed to 108 Mbps. Not all of those technologies are compatible so it's not worth me using them. But for standard 802.11b/g support at 11 Mbps and 54 Mbps respectively, anything should work.

As for wireless network interfaces, check to make sure that there is actually Macintosh support. Othewise, it won't work since there is no driver to support the third party hardware. Check here if you need to find one that works with the iMac.

jh2112 said:
Yes it can be done, and as you described.
Tiger is just an operating system and won't add wireless capability unless the hardware is there already and compatible.
I don't know compusa routers.
My trick (tip!) is: Do some research. All routers are not the same. Have a look in hardware forums and find out which are the better ones before you buy. Some have unreliable wireless and need constant rebooting (My previous Netgear router!)

As for the Netgear router, have you checked to make sure the firmware was up to date? I had issues like that with my Linksys WRT54G router and upgrading the firmware fixed that problem.

Upgrading the firmware also patches holes that might introduce vulnerabilities into your network.

Back