XP Box does not show up in Connect to Server

Gnomo

Registered
Here is a strange problem. I know this is a Mac forum, and this is more of a problem with a windows computer, but mention Mac around the PC people I know and they run like you have the plague (stupid people :( :confused: ).

Anywho, I have XP Pro box with sharing enabled (at first it was simple sharring). I would click CMD-K on my iBook and would get a list of AFP servers and SMB workgroups. I'd select the workgroup my XP box was in and let the computer search...other computers in the workgroup (all windows 98 machines) would show up, but not my XP machine. Now, since I know the computer name and whatnot, I could just type in SMB://Computer_Name/Share and get to what I needed to. However, the strange part is that my friend would do the same exact thing (CMD-K, etc) with his powerbook and the computer would show up.

Recently, I changed the file sharring system to the non-recommended more advanced version of XP file sharring (since it allows for more security) where I can control who is allowed to connect to what shares (because I wanted to share my printer, but not have it open for anyone to use). And now neither of us (me or my friend) can see the XP box. Still not really a problem, just puzzling.

Any ideas? I'm willing to try just about anything.

that is odd, i just tested it on my two macs connected to my pc and it worked perfectly...

all i had to do was put everything on the same workgroup, and name the pc, and it showed up... hmm

no clue :confused: :D

My desktop and laptop are both in the same workgroup, and I still can't see the PC. However, when it worked for my friend he wasn't in the same workgroup as my computers.

Odd indeed.

BuddahBobb, is your computer running WinXP Pro? If so, how do you have sharing configured? Do you have Windows file sharring turned on for your macs?

im at work right now so this is a IIRC post ;)

i made my pc on a work group using the network setup wizard, i set the properties of my drive to be shared, and then in osx i have windows file sharing enabled, i also run samba, i dont know if that makes a different or not though...

This is frustrating.

I installed the Samba Sharing Package for 10.2
However, that has not solved the problem.

I cannot since installing the SSP, I can no longer see my Mac from my XP box.

I tried placing the computers in a different workgroup, because I read that Win XP supposedly doesn't like spaces in computer or workgroup names. That didn't do anything. So, then I placed my XP box in a unique workgroup to see if I had any luck seeing that. The workgroup shows up in the list, but the Mac searches and searches, but doesn't find it. So, I at least know that the Mac is doing something right.

I have also noticed that some computers on my network (Win 98 boxes) are showing up in my Connect to Server dialog that aren't showing up in the WinXP network neighborhood. Guess it is time to look into what could be wrong with my windows box. But before you write this off to a M$ error, note this. There are more than one XP computers (not mine) on the network and none of them show up in Connect to server.

Back