XP computer on LAN to Minimac with Airport

cardiofuse

Registered
Well, this may be a weird question but here it goes....

I have an XP (SP2) computer in my lab connected to the hospital computer network (RJ45). About 20 feet away I have a Minimac with Airport installed.

Is it possible to have the MiniMac "share" the internet connection provided to the PC via the LAN?

If so, what wireless equipment would I need to share the PC's internet connection with my MiniMac.

Thanks a great deal....

I should talk to the hospital's networking people. If they have no issues with you doing this they maybe able to help, I would certainly not advise doing it without their agreement.

That's obviously good advice. I'm the department chief; I just wanted to determine the possibilities at this point since I will have to buy any additional hardware.

Aren't there HIPPA issues that you're going to have to deal with? If so, I wouldn't even consider doing anything over wireless. Too insecure for critical use even with encryption if you ask me.

Just a database for non-critical information...I would hope WEP encryption suitable for this proximity. Anyway, a bit off point for the question. Can a mimimac tap into the internet connection off a LAN PC desktop?

I would bay a Airport basestation, you can secure it via mac address, the admin tools can be downloaded for xp so you can keep and eye on it from you office (wireless or lan). I have set up the same sort of config on other networks so I know it works. I know Xp has a few "holes" and is always being fixed, personally I would not use windows internet connection sharing...

On another note, another router alternative is the Draytek 2800g, this is very reliable, 2 year warrantie, very good wireless range, I use these on all site installs.

So basically, I connect the PC RJ45 cable into a wireless router (WAN port) and connect the router to the PC via another cable and then have the Minimac "share" the connection via DHCP?

Back