XP connecting to Panther - security issues?

bunner bob

Registered
I just set up an XP PC and turned on Windows Sharing on my Panther G4. When I set up a "Network Place" on the PC using the address shown in the Mac's System Prefs, imagine my surprise when I was able to connect to my own account WITHOUT entering a password!?!

Now, it's just possible that because my Windows password is the same as my Mac one, the Mac just "knew" it was me connecting. But this concerns me a little. Shouldn't I have to enter a password when connecting from a PC?

Part 2: So, being concerned about security, I turned off Windows sharing. But I was still able to access the Mac! So then I turned off file sharing. Still able to access - open files, etc.

What the hey is going on? I'm confused and a bit troubled.

- Bob

You were probably just able to access the Shared folder and not your home directory, right? Use SharePoints for a better and more secure network filesharing.
You should also setup a password for your shared folders on the XP box..
Part 2: hmmmm, did you reboot? Your winxp box shouldn'T find your mac without any kind of sharing being on.. :confused:

No - I was able to access my home directory. When I turned on Windows Sharing, the address shown at the bottom was \\192.168.0.2\bob - which is my address on the LAN. I guess that would make sense if it was making available only the Public folder, but it's making the entire home directory available.

Update - I changed the password on the PC and when I tried to connect again I had to enter a username and password - so I'm guessing the reason it worked first time was because I had the same user and pw on both machines. Either that or I typed it in and forgot I did it. It was rather late at night :)

Have to try SharePoints one of these days. Thanks for the tip.

- Bob

Back