XP Modem to Airport to iBook

afn02552

Registered
I have no DSL or cable available, only dial-up. I have a 4 year old G3 iBook and an Airport Base Station (Snow) of the same age. The modems in each have always been slow. Oddly, upload speeds are greater than download (most recent test showed 18 kbps down, 22 kbps up.) I have a Dell desktop, XP SP2, with an internal modem which consistently runs high 20s to low 30s download, low to mid 20s upload (same phone lines and ISP as the iBook and Airport.) I would like to share the XP modem connection with the iBook via the Airport. I have made an ethernet cable connection from the Dell ethernet port to the Airport LAN port. I’ve created a home network on the Dell. Airport is configured for ethernet connection. It appears the Dell is receiving data from the iBook via the Airport, and, in response, accessing the internet via the modem, but is not sending data back to the Airport. Is it technically possible to share the XP modem with the iBook via the Airport? If so, what are the correct connections and configurations? I have no prior experience in setting up a network other than configuring my Airport for use with my iBook. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dial-up connection sharing problem solved - determined to be firewall configuration issue. I'm currently connecting through the XP modem via the Airport, listening to uninterrupted 20kbps streaming audio, while accessing this and other web sites. Previously, accessing the same audio stream alone via the Airport's modem resulted in 6 to 10 buffering interruptions per minute. Internet search reveals much discussion of varying dial-up speeds. Not a problem for broadband users but a big issue for those of us stuck in the world of dial-up.

Back