Xserve RAID battery cache modules

puskas

Registered
First post guys, so hello all!

It's slightly OT, but I was wondering about the XserveRAID battery cache modules. I'm not sure what the benefit is of them. I think I will still need a UPS as they don't keep the RAID running if there is a power outage.

Does anyone know what the real benefit is of them? Would you use them alongside a UPS? Do they keep the RAID running or do they just support the cache of data?

Thanks in advance.

Puskas

Welcome and this is perfectly on topic! :)

The battery caches work with the UPS to receive the shutdown signal and then flush all of the data from the cache to disk before power loss. This is very helpful on servers that are continuously used or in Xsan environments. Most folks elect to include this feature in their storage solutions.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Thanks for that Michael, the site seems to be building up it's posts. I'l let my mac buddies know. :cool:

Do you know if APC software or any other software can shut the RAID down in the event of a power failure? I know that by connecting the Xserve to UPS by USB, you can have the Xserve shutdown automatically.

Also, can the RAID be shutdown over the network, like if you use the APC network card?

Puskas

I believe that you'll be needing the simple signaling cable method for the XSR itself. That's how the folks I've worked with have elected to do it. If I had an APC unit around, I'd test it out with my XSR and see what I found for ya. :)

Michael

Thanks again Michael,

When you say 'simple signaling cable' are you meaning a typical serial cable?

I have contacted the guys at APC tracker to see if they have any suggestions, I'll report back with any info. I'm finding it very difficult to get a solution that will powerdown both units.

Cheers
Puskas

Pretty much, the APC UPS + the network card can handle your Xserves. The simple signaling cable (looks like a typical serial cable to me) will handle the XSR units.

You can also install the PowerChute software and web interface to control your shutdown parameters and what not. :)

Oh, no problem!

Michael

Back