Yellow Dog VS Mandrake PPC

josh3dmaker

Registered
I have a dual 500 mhz power Mac that is runing Mac OS X 10.2 and was thinking about installing linux for fun.

I was thinking of installing either Mandrake PPC or Yellow Dog linux, but I don't know which one to choose.

Does anyone have any tips as to which one I should install? Are there any websites that compare the two?

Thanks,

J

Don't know much about Yellow Dog, however if Mandrake has got past some of its installer problems on the PPC its a solid distribution.

One other things about Mandrake (Red Hat kernel), they make a version for most processors and they usually keep the PPC version up with the Intel version.

I used the Intel version at Agip Uk in Aberdeen Scotland, we found all sorts of usefull thiings to do with it, fats proxy server that IIS (faster anything than IIS), we also applied MOSIX extensions to this and was able to easily form a cheap processing cluster. at least an order of magnitude cheaper than a SUN, SGI or IBM offering.

SuSE ppc is the stuff .

7.3 has 8 CD-ROMS of software . I bought 7.1 and its great , I am waiting for 8.0 to come out .

I have been using SuSE PPC for a few years since its stable 6.4 release in summer 2000 .

Using PPC with the old Mac OS was much easier than with OS X . It takes time to figure out how to make OS X and PPC operate together .

Have fun :)

I've been using YDL for a while(switched from LinuxPPC when they disappeared). Ever since rev 2.0 it's been quite nice. One warning, the installer tries to mimic, somewhat, the RH installer and sometimes does things in a non-Mac standard, but Unix way.
Aaron

Back