You need to restart your computer

j2603

Registered
ok, this is freaky... I was connecting to yahoo messenger and all of a sudden my screen darkened and a black sign You Need to Restart Your Computer appeared on many languages, which means it must've been important... what's this is all about?

It's a kernel panic.

Run Disk Utility from your hard drive to Repair Permissions, then boot off the CD and run Disk Utility to repair the drive.

After booting off the OS CD and the Installer window appears, go to the top of the screen to the Installer Menu for Disk Utility. If it finds any problems, run it again.

Thanks bobw. Was always wondering why Id come home once in awhile and see that screen.

ive gotten that when connecting and disconnecting usb and firewire peripherals that have bad support. the computer just freaks.

Snark said:
ive gotten that when connecting and disconnecting usb and firewire peripherals that have bad support. the computer just freaks.
Be sure you dismount any firewire or USB data storage device before unplugging it and you should not get a kernel panic unless the device does not meet the firewire or USB standards. I mount and dismount firewire and USB frequently and that has never caused a KP.

Kernel panics are more often related to hardware issues than software issues. So while repairing permissions and checking your harddrive might help, you're probably better off checking your connected hardware. Known culprits: Incompatible RAM, USB devices and hubs, FW devices. My most recent kernel panics were related to the Maxtor FW OneTouch drive (there's a driver update somewhere at maxtor.com that solves the problem) and my Sony Clié and Missing Sync (update to Missing Sync 4.0.1 solves the problem).

i actually do not connect anything other than a Sony camera an iPod to my PowerBook, I think, the problem could be related to WebEX manager since I have not done anything unusual that day other than installing the manager.

Back