• Love it

• Like it

• Don't care either way

• Don't like it

• Hate it

• Too young to have it (Student etc)

• Don't have it

Results are only viewable after voting.
I work in a publishing company (books). I write texts, review texts from others, paginate the books, create some layouts (pretending to be a graphic designer ;))... and in my spare time, I help other mac users with their mac problems :p

I am a DJ at a radio station, and I think it rocks! I get to hang out in the studio, push buttions every 3 minutes or so, and then do my homework, or read the crazy conversations that you guys come up with. (I am a student, and I think the pay is really good.)

I take it you're an Admiral then, Admiral AK? (kidding)

I'm working for the Helpdesk for a major IT company. Its not too bad - at least its challenging and I feel some sense of having achieved something.

Before this, however, I was a graphic designer. That was the best job I ever had, and I'd recommend it highly to anyone who thinks they'd like it.

I'm a chemist at Pfizer Global Research & Development in Ann Arbor, MI, and I love my work. I work in the Protein NMR Group helping researchers run bioassays for compound fragment-based drug discovery. How it works is that compounds are mixed with proteins and if the compounds "stick" to the proteins, the results are passed on to the synthetic chemists to modify the compound to make it stick better to the protein. This process has several iterations and evaluations. Eventually a decision is made to either go forward with real model testing (animal studies) or the project is aborted due to (potential) adverse side effects, etc...

Student of Structural Engineering (hence the username). Working on my BSE at the moment, hoping to reach a Ph. D eventually...

In order to keep money in my pockets, I work as an English conversation partner for international grad students and fix other people's computers. During breaks, I drive for my dad's trucking company and work at an engineering firm back home.

-Meg

padishahemperor said:
Once my qualifications, occupation and income defined who I was, and I had pride in them. Thankfully I no longer think in that way. The doctorate made me feel good but gave me no wisdom, the huge salaries bought me everything I wanted and yet I gained nothing.

Now my job is just that, a job - irrelevant - what I *have* to do to earn money to buy food and pay for the roof over my head - no more. Whether in a lab or pushing a broom, there is no difference. It does not define anything about me, nor would I ever want it to. There are far more interesting things in life than making money or taking pride in what I do from 9-5, both of which keep me from my loved ones and friends.

Thank you for expressing my very own position and feelings eventhough the circumstances should be different, I guess.

I had a long career (20y+) in banking; got thrown out of the window and a 2+ years lawsuit followed. It made me realise that not only it takes time for justice to give you reason but your environment i.e job friends family doesn't necessarily "buy" your innocence.

One has to rely on its own resources in order to fight for it's rights and be ready to pay the "social isolation" for it but should look forwar to gaining a lot more from true friends, and loved ones. ::love::

padishahemperor said:
Once my qualifications, occupation and income defined who I was, and I had pride in them. Thankfully I no longer think in that way. The doctorate made me feel good but gave me no wisdom, the huge salaries bought me everything I wanted and yet I gained nothing.

Now my job is just that, a job - irrelevant - what I *have* to do to earn money to buy food and pay for the roof over my head - no more. Whether in a lab or pushing a broom, there is no difference. It does not define anything about me, nor would I ever want it to. There are far more interesting things in life than making money or taking pride in what I do from 9-5, both of which keep me from my loved ones and friends.
In my experience whenever I hear someone talk like this they're already set for life,which is good I'm happy for you.But for the masses out there struggling they take offense.Yes I realise that this is something that comes from "within" unfortunately people usually see the surface & not the why you think like this. (Set for life I meant financially not in a spiritual sense)

markceltic said:
In my experience whenever I hear someone talk like this they're already set for life,which is good I'm happy for you.But for the masses out there struggling they take offense.Yes I realise that this is something that comes from "within" unfortunately people usually see the surface & not the why you think like this. (Set for life I meant financially not in a spiritual sense)

I think you misunderstood the essence of the message

1) For instance, I'm not set for life in the way you mean it. I struggle financially but don't see it as a problem as long as I am able to define what I need vs what I want, it's a matter of choice/obligation and thus assuming it.

2) don't see why the masses should take it as an offense, anybody is free to live the life they should feel comfortable with financially or spiritually as you put it

3) everybody struggle from it's own point of view i.e. what he/she wants to achieve financially, socially or whatever doesn't mean others should be offended

Regards

Gig' on #2 let me put it this way people as a rule don't feel sorry for "rich people".I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't feel sorry for say Donald Trump if it was revealed he was an unhappy person.People with that kind of resources can more than change their circumstances. On 1 you'll get no arguement from me.On 3 of course but people don't see it that way because of their own struggles blind them to the other persons situation.

markceltic thanks for reverting
I believe we have the same opinions just a different way of expressing them ::love::

now lets have this thread get back to its subject :)

Back