ZDnets' David Coursey likes macs...

Yep, quite a nice story. :) ... The guy's been flamed enough by Mac-zealots in the past. Let's give him some _good_ feedback now. ;-)

It's just so true.

I was going to say, I wouldn't have a pc if somebody gave me one, but actually, I would .. then I'd either wipe the disk and install Linux or sell it!..

Actually I'd have to agree with some of the flaming replies to that article. Don't get me wrong, I know for a fact we're using the superior platform, but good points were made about his apparent very limited knowledge of PCs. Not all the flamers, of course theres PC-fanboys there going "just look at the percentage of windows users to Mac users, windows is obviously better" now this kind of thing doesnt deserve a reply and I'm actually sorry I wasted two seconds of my life reading something so ignorant, but anyway I just wanted to say that while I agree with the sentiments, this does not help the Mac cause, as its a poorly written and argued article. This sort of article can only help if people who are really sick of the constant problems with PCs can be swayed by his similar experinces and reprted happiness with OS X - not possible in this case as anyone who has had more than two problems with their PC will apparently already know more about PCs than this guy, and will be able to tell it.
I'm not talking about the Symantec criticisms although how that long spiel about Symantec buying this or that company is relevant to how good or bad PCs are I'll never know....
Like I said, don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac man through and through.
But if I was a technology journalist and couldnt get one out of three laptops working I sure as hell wouldnt announce it to the world, let alone describe the problems in such vague all-encompassing statements - why would anyone highlight their cluelessness?
The only good point he made was that rebuilding would take him most of a weekend, and calling OS X 'uncrashable' is just irresponsible and not going to sway anyone.

I think you're dead on, MacMuppet.

I was going to say that you might have been a little unfair about his journalism; this could well be the experience of most people and often is.

The idea is [in principle at least] that computers are easy to use and accessible, thus the article clearly underlined the short-comings of pc's when compared to a mac.

However, you pointed out that this guy _is_ an IT journalist and as such _should_ know more than my mother [who, incidentally is dead] but it's quite clear that he's not nearly as clued up as he ought to be.

Anyway, these issues aside, pc's are still crap!..

Yeah I agree that he did just seem to be trying to say that "Macs just basically work without all this constant messing around" which is the finest argument there is nowadays, you can pretty much do anything with either platform so it boils down to ease-of-use and amount of maintenance for many people, but I guess I was a bit dissapointed that he went off on these tangents that showed him up a bit. But you're right, maybe I was a bit harsh about his journalistic skills.....

Back