$1 a song by Apple

I think it would be more likely that there would be a range of monthly subscriptions. Saw you pay $20 a month, you get 20 downloads. You need more, you pay extra in chunks.

It could have a buy-as-you-go format, but I think that would be trickier as far as tracking and archiving downloads as well as maintaining buyers' info. I'll still be very surprised if it doesn't follow some Appleified version of audible.com

What would be really cool is if this music service were integrated into iTunes 4; for instance, have a button next to the Equalizer and Visuals buttons at the bottom of the iTunes window which brings up a iTunes browser that you can use to search/browse all that the service will have to offer.

A web browser based service would be okay, I suppose, but it wouldn't be nearly as sleek as integration into iTunes, don't you think?

Im POSITIVE that if apple developed this type of serveice it would be based in iTunes if not both iTunes and the web. Apple doesn't offer photo printing or custom book making by means of a website, it uses them directly through iPhoto. It would fit well into the iApps digital hub theme. Rip Mix Burn would change to Mix, download, burn.
I think it would be an interesting service, but so far all of the pay for what you download services have been too complicated and not had enough major labels behind them and failed. Plus, it is MUCH easier to open a P2P application and download a song.
Apple would have to have enough selection at the right price, and then there would be a great upside to the service. You would have a cheap, legal alternative to downloading the song you heard on mtv the other day. It would be fast, easy, and integrated into your an application you already use frequently.

And further about MS type DRM, what do you guys think? Will apple somehow protect the music? Personally I think that would be the downfall of the system. It would make it hard, you couldn't have copies of the song on your mp3 player and burn them to CD's frequently. Personally I burn a new CD for every long trip I take. If I couldn't do that, "screw ams, im about to go steal music."

Well, when Apple released the iPod, the only DRM implemented on it was a sticker (easily removable) that said "Don't steal music".

Jobs has said multiple times that music piracy is a social issue, not a technical issue, and it will be treated by Apple as such. Meaning that Apple will speak against pirating music but not prevent your computer or software from running pirated music. Nice, right?

The odd thing is, the recording industry has praised Apple's/Jobs' stance in this regard. And yet M$ continues with Palladium.

Odd, don't you think?

I want to convert my Audible books to MP3s, so I can play them on my MP3 CD Player. How can I do this?
_ Answer
_ Audible uses security technologies, including encryption, to protect purchased programs. While the more typical MP3 files contain the same kind of audio data, they are not protected in this way. You will not be able to convert the Audible format to MP3 because of this encryption. The measures taken by Audible are required to protect both the intellectual property rights of our Content Providers as well as the Authors. Audible's secure distribution system prevents a customer from passing along duplicate digital audio files to another listener.
Audible created and employs a proprietary technology solution for distributing copyright-secure audio files that can be downloaded or streamed from audible.com. Audible's secure distribution system prevents a customer from passing along duplicate digital audio files to another listener.
In the future, Audible intends to utilize other compression-decompression and security technologies upon the development and adoption of an industry standard, while continuing to ensure the secure distribution of intellectual property from audible.com. Audible's preferred speech codec is licensed from VoiceAge Corporation.

The above is from audible.com. Not to beat a dead horse on it, but I cn't see Apple re-inventing the wheel here. It's the same legal issues, but audible allows you to download, put in iTunes/iPod (or various pc platforms including some pdas) or burn it to a cd.
Now the aa format sounds find on spoken word and a little background music, but does anyone have an idea on how music would sound in such a format?

Originally posted by shatfield1529
A web browser based service would be okay, I suppose, but it wouldn't be nearly as sleek as integration into iTunes, don't you think?
If you follow Apple's HotNews page, you might notice that MacOS X's Java capabilities were just updated, and Apple claims that Safari is the best browser to view Java content in on a Mac. Now, Apple also announced, shorlty after Safari's PB first came out, that they would provide documentation to use Safari's rendering engine in your own App. Now suppose that Apple integrate's Safari's web engine into iTunes, but the interface for this music download service is a slick (or sleek, your choice), Aqua-fied Java applet that runs great on Macs (proving, at least to consumers, that Java really does work great on Mac). It could happen, especially since one of the focuses of the Java update was "increased security."

Originally posted by moav
... Apple will not have any overhead, the record companies need not have any fancy packaging, and lastly the consumer supplies the're own media.
Huh?!?

The the CD media is NOT the most expensive part of a CD. Not even close.

The $ for a CD is the MUSIC and the physical delivery. The cover art is more than the media. And don't forget the licensing for the musicians.

And if this is going to be downloaded, someone's got to build and host the servers. That is big $$$ in 24/7 data center & bandwidth charges... Don't forget the infrastructure to accept payments, and to support the folks who can't make this work.

... and do you really want the songs with no liner notes?

Back