1)Faster than Panther, and 2)Is fink supported?!?

stefmit

The $subj says it all:

- in the past Apple was known as the only vendor whose OS was faster for the same underlying hardware, compared to the previous version(s). Is this the case of Tiger vs. Panther?
- is fink supported?

Background/reasons for my Qs: ex-user of Linux and BSD laptops, with main target network and security utilities, almost exclusively compiled "by hand". Migrated to iBook (G4 1GHz 512MB) two years ago, when I could not find an x86 laptop that I liked. Have spent few months to port everything to iBook, and now I am relatively happy with it. I am not that crazy about the "face" of MacOSX, as much as I like the stability and underlying OS - so my reason for upgrading to Tiger would be increased of the latter, and capability of fink support.

Any ideas/comments?

TIA,
Stef

No sense in creating a separate thread about this. Yes, Panther's faster and fink will probably need an update, so check their site what they say about it.

From all I heard and read about it, Tiger should be about 20 -50% faster regarding standard OS operations, depending on the hardware you have

they've spent the time not so much bloating it, but in fact optimising the code. so yes, tiger is faster than panther is faster than jaguar is faster than puma is faster than cheeter. thye're trying to make it the finest OS available. a slower system is bad.

I'd figured that's what you meant. as with what everyone else said, Tiger's SUPPOSED to be faster. But in the off chance you meant Panther I was thinking, "whaaaaa?"

can't wait to get mine tonight

i figured i can back everything upo onto a wiped ipod 40gb! yey! clean install for me

but probably not today though - it's sitting next to me, but i can't afford any downtime on my mac - i've got far too much work to do to risk that

Back