1 firewire port not working?

shoxwaken

Registered
All of a sudden 1 of my 2 firewire ports on my iMac is not working. I did the hardware test on the cd that came with the computer and everything checked out fine. System profiler sees port but always says nothing is connected to it. The other one works fine. It's not the cables or devices and I am still getting bus power ot one of the devices even thtough it doesn't get recognized.
One thing I'm wondering is if I could have screwed it up by deleting something while logged in as root. I did delete 2 extensions (.kext) that related to one software program and one of them was a firewire extension but was unused by the program. I also deleted something in the Netinfo Manager. I thought it was a user but who knows. Any suggestions?

try to reset the pram... hold down apple-option-p-r during boot up (as soon as you turn it on) then wait for the start up chime. (I usually wait for 2 start up chimes, A tech support guy at apple told me it was better. I dont know if it makes any difference.)

The more zaps, the cleaner the system. Zapping the PRAM is a good start.

Try booting into 9 if you can. If it's a driver issue, you should be able to avoid the X driver and use your devices with the 9 driver. I tend to tell people this a lot, maybe too much, but I suggest you do a clean install of X (where you archive the old system), update it to whatever you need to, and then try it. If it's a software issue, the port should come back to life.

If none of these work, call up your best source for Apple technical support (i.e. if you're near an Apple store, call the help desk) and ask them how to fix your port. Also try askus@macaddict.com or something similar for advice, or look on a website like www.macfixit.com or www.xlr8yourmac.com.

Back