10.0.4 is out!!!

endian

Dis Member
Nothing all that dramatic, really. I don't see any difference
 

scott

softer than ever!
Don't you love it when it turns out you are writing your post at the same time as someone else, and it makes you like like an idiot because it ends up you just repeated what they said?
 

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
Can anyone take a look in the locale control panel and tell me if greek has been added (in the keyboard and available languages).

I plan to download it later on tonight, any suggestions on whether I should or should not ?
 

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
You should ALWAYS update. Updates are forward progress. Though you might not notice a difference right away, these updates contain code optimizations which are making OSX faster and faster. With every update I notice little things that are better...better stability, a bit more speed, etc.

Apple wouldn't bother releasing anything if there wasn't a significant change to be made.
 

dani++

usin UNIX since '92
I am checking out /Library/Receipts...

some tidbits found there:

"NumFiles 1352"

this must be the total number of files replaced with this update. Bear in mind that UNIX is very modular, and updates are gradually replacing small components. This has a tendency of minimizing bad collateral effects and slowly and gradually improving the big picture.


dani++
 

xjamesx

Registered
I've noticed that the finder is a hair faster but for me Classic is much faster.

I opened up one of my director projects and it doesn't seem to be running slower than it was in 9.

I bought OSX the day it came out and updated whenever any updates were available. I finally feel that OSX is usable for my daily work.

Now if apple would give me the option to kill all those time sucking zooms, fades, and window morphs...
 

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
I am betting that Apple will give us the option to turn off some of the special FX that Aqua has for a gain in performance. At the moment, there are other pressing issues [such as DVD support and optimization of Quartz] that they are addressing, but I would be willing to bet that there will be many more options for customizing Aqua.
 

dilvish

Registered
Having updated to 10.0.4, I find that MS Word 2001 no longer crashes under Classic. It freezes. Progress....
 

ezra

Super Organism
Originally posted by xjamesx
I've noticed that the finder is a hair faster but for me Classic is much faster.

I opened up one of my director projects and it doesn't seem to be running slower than it was in 9.

I bought OSX the day it came out and updated whenever any updates were available. I finally feel that OSX is usable for my daily work.

Now if apple would give me the option to kill all those time sucking zooms, fades, and window morphs...
You can, it's called Tinker Tool, get it at VersionTracker.com
 

xjamesx

Registered
Originally posted by ezra


You can, it's called Tinker Tool, get it at VersionTracker.com
I did when it first came out and I killed what I could with it. What I want to kill all of that stuff. Like the top menu fading in and out when you select them. Or the window morphing that happens when you're in the System Preferences and switch between each preferences. It would be nice if it just "popped" into it's new position.

I could do without such large drop shadows under everything or anti-aliased text.

Save those cycles for classic.
 

ezra

Super Organism
Originally posted by xjamesx


I did when it first came out and I killed what I could with it. What I want to kill all of that stuff. Like the top menu fading in and out when you select them. Or the window morphing that happens when you're in the System Preferences and switch between each preferences. It would be nice if it just "popped" into it's new position.

I could do without such large drop shadows under everything or anti-aliased text.

Save those cycles for classic.
If I'm running a G3 333, with ATI Rage pro and Voodoo, and see no slow downs, your machine with both supported G4 accelerated interface, and ATI Rage pro's should not see and slow down what so ever. If your system seems a lot slower than OS9 then you have a serious problem with your set up. My guess would be the dual displays are ausing a problem. I would also be willing to bet you have a bad install. How many different configurations did you try? Have you tried installing with only a single monior? Are you using UFS formatted drive? Have you tried optomizing your apps with XOptimize? Your system should smokre mine, and mine is fast! Just as a reference, how long does it take you to boot OS9 under X?
 

xjamesx

Registered
I don't think it's really slow anymore. Like I said above, I can actually run director (and photoshop) and it's not annoying to me anymore. The app launches and system responsiveness has improved to a point that I can get work done and not feel held back by the OS.

I'm just the type that will turn every unnecessary feature off in order to squeeze more ram or cpu cycles out of my machine. The UI shouldn't be hogging as much as it does and I know they're working on it. I'm sick of looking over at the 600 mhz Win2k box and see that it is smoking my machine when it's booted into OSX.



Today will be the first day I run OSX for a full day. I hope that I won't have to boot into OS9 ever again.
 

endian

Dis Member
It would be nice if it just "popped" into it's new position.
This is a recipe for the most visually disturbing UI imaginable, with things just appearing & disappearing all over the place.
 

ezra

Super Organism
Originally posted by xjamesx
I don't think it's really slow anymore. Like I said above, I can actually run director (and photoshop) and it's not annoying to me anymore. The app launches and system responsiveness has improved to a point that I can get work done and not feel held back by the OS.

I'm just the type that will turn every unnecessary feature off in order to squeeze more ram or cpu cycles out of my machine. The UI shouldn't be hogging as much as it does and I know they're working on it. I'm sick of looking over at the 600 mhz Win2k box and see that it is smoking my machine when it's booted into OSX.



Today will be the first day I run OSX for a full day. I hope that I won't have to boot into OS9 ever again.
Have you ever used the terminal? This is not Os9, you have more options as to how you can use your machine. Have you ever used Linux? OsX is very similar, with a GUI on top like Gnome, or KDE. You can bypass the GUI with the Terminal.I don't use OsX like a Mac, I use it like Unix. I also wish there were a way to turn off the GUI, and there probably is a way, but I'm not certain. I would boot right into a command line if I could. For fun I like to hold down cmd-v on startup to remeind me that I an using Unix. Give it a try, and you'll soon have a different impression of your MacOS.
 

xjamesx

Registered
Originally posted by endian


This is a recipe for the most visually disturbing UI imaginable, with things just appearing & disappearing all over the place.
I don't know...to me things zoom and scaling and morphing isn't needed. I just wish I had a choice.
 

davidbrit2

Licensed Computer Geek
Hey ezra, if you want to temporarily disable the GUI, just go to the login window, log in as >console and use either the root password or administrator password (I can't remember which one.) It will dump you do a white text on black login prompt, and scare all of your friends. :)
 

xjamesx

Registered
Originally posted by ezra


Have you ever used the terminal? This is not Os9, you have more options as to how you can use your machine. Have you ever used Linux? OsX is very similar, with a GUI on top like Gnome, or KDE. You can bypass the GUI with the Terminal.I don't use OsX like a Mac, I use it like Unix. I also wish there were a way to turn off the GUI, and there probably is a way, but I'm not certain. I would boot right into a command line if I could. For fun I like to hold down cmd-v on startup to remeind me that I an using Unix. Give it a try, and you'll soon have a different impression of your MacOS.
I don't mean to just do away with the UI altogether. I just want something leaner. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

I used to have linux running on my old Motorola Starmax (remember those awful things?)




I do use the terminal, in fact, I've been using Pine to check my email since 95. My first computer was and 8088 running dos. But when I went to school they put a Mac in front of me. I used to hate it, now I can't do without it. I always wished I would have a command line at my disposal, and not just a telnet or ssh window to the webserver or mailserver. As a designer, the command line doesn't get me far. It is nice to have apache and mysql to test and do quick changes in flash, director, photoshop, or bbedit and not have to ftp all the time.

I like OSX. I don't need to be convinced. With this update, it's now responsive enough for my daily work. I don't need it to be pretty.
 
Top