10.1.1/10.1.2 performance

Silky Slim

Registered
hello folks, could you lend me some of your knowledge?
i have an ibook 500mhz with 256 ram, and os x 10.1 runs on it just fine, but after trying the 10.1.1 upgrade, the os x finder slowed to a crawl. opening a window meant looking at that damn color-wheel for 10-30 seconds. note that only the finder slowed down; apps still ran just fine.
after downgrading to 10.1, everything speeded back up.
yesterday i gave it another shot and upgraded from 10.1 to 10.1.2 through the software update control panel. again, the finder turned slow as molasses.
my os 9 has the hebrew language kit installed, could this be part of the problem? it seems to me that windows that have no hebrew file names in them open faster.
some israeli users reported this issue in user forums, but others had no prblem.
please help if you can, thanks
yaniv from israel.

Although I have no experience with the hebrew language kit, I don't see how having it under OS 9 would effect a bug upgrade for OS X.

First off, what does ProcessViewer tell you. Is there some application such as SETI that is taking up heaps of your CPU?

When you upgraded, did the system optimization complete successfully? If not, did you pre-bind on the command line afterwards? You can do this by typing:

sudo update_prebinding -root /

in a terminal.

If you did all this, do you get errors when you do a file system check? Boot up your computer in single user mode, by holding down Command and S at startup. This will look all non-gui and ugly. Once it's booted, type: fsck -y You may have to repeat that command until it reports no errors. Then type reboot.

also, what version of 9 are you running? as strange as it seems, different combos of osx and 9 produce different speeds.

Back