10.1.1 caused me thirteen hours of severe frustration

Huh, maybe the update "improved" the way the computer cools the CPU. I know an old HP laptop of mine would only turn on the fan when the system was getting too hot, which didn't take long with the hotplate of a CPU in the thing. The annoying thing about having the fan turn itself on and off is that the computer goes from quiet, to noisy, to quiet, to noisy... It's nice to just leave it on (or off, if it's a very cold CPU.)

Figure I would add my 2 cents in...

I have a G4/500 - When 10.1 was released...

1) Formated the OS X partition
2) Installed 10.0 (from CD)
3) Formatted system, did fresh install using 10.1 UPGRADE CD installer.
4) Applied the security patch that came out.
5) Applied 10.1.1 w/o a hitch

The only thing I have noticed personally, is my "System Prefs" is now a speed demon, launching almost instantly where it would take awhile before.

Terminal still takes 9 hops... what is up with that? 9 hops for a terminal window. Don't understand that one at all. Nifty Telnet launches via Classic mode in 2 hops.

Admin

damn some of these probs look horrible Apple! Get a new update out or something... Jesus
I have done all the updates as they have come out and have had problems with my ibooks hardware so apple (australia) replaced it under warranty, then they returned it to me and it was WARPED, wouldnt sit right on the table, oh and when i first got it it made a yucky screech at startup and then wouldnt hardly work at all before freezing...But i reseated the ram and it worked fine..But the hinge was noisy (really horrid noise like youd broken it when u try and open or close) so they fixed that problem and created a worse one, which they have now fixed by updating me with a brand new 600 mghz machine (500's are no longer availalable) so i gotta larger hd and faster bus speed (10 gb hd up to a 20gb hdd) and 66 mghz sys bus upto 100mghz..cool cool.. All has been working ok last last week or so, nut i noticed that a couple of times my xternal FW hdd wont connect, and still wont now (prolly would in os9) but like i aint got time to fix and test all this shit apple shoulda had down pat like a year ago...
i have followed all the OS updates and besides some dvd's causing me to fully lock up and have to pin restart (resets date n time) and this FW drive problem, all has worked pretty well..
I just wish apple would bring us fully stable os that EVERYONE can depend on....i thought they woulda had their shit together by now...and had mosta this shit sussed...
Cheers

Same here, since my update to 10.1.1 the fan of my TI book runs more often.
The Ti feels hotter than before aswell.
"Never has the fan gone off before. Until the update the other day."

Well, my monitor is fine under 9.2.1 but when I switched to X, my right main monitor doesn't work.

It's looking like they don't support my ATI Nexus 128 video card.

I have multiple monitors, (2) and i'm using my Nexus as my main monitor.

I installed 10 a while ago, installed the 10.1 update when it came out, got the update-now security update, and then the 10.1.1 update.

so I figured i was having problems, so I went back to the 10.1 installation.

Then I go to apple's website and it says "don't reinstall 10.1" after you installed the new security update. the only remedy after you do that is a clean install!

I'm not liking the thoughts of going back to 9.2 but I'm not having fun with all of the reinstallations.

I've been using 10.1 since it's release with no problems. I "upgraded" to 10.1.1 tonight and now can't even boot my system. The installation caused a cpu panic several minutes after it began to "optimize" itself :-(

Currently all I can do is watch the system boot up to a blank cyan colored screen and then the hard drive stops and nothing happens.

My system was installed with OS 10.0, upgraded to 10.4, upgraded to 10.1.

G4 Cube 450Mhz
1.5 GB RAM
UFS file system.

Any ideas anyone? Or am I going to have to re-install?

-Kevin

Try holding down Command-V when you start up, and see if it hangs up on any informative error messages. Sometimes this can help diagnose the problem.

Back