10.1.1. messed up everythin!!!!!

PD

Registered
After noticing that few people were having trouble with the latest update, I just installed 10.1.1 update via the software updater. Installation went smoothly. I rebooted and now no third party application launch, I can't get on the internet, check my email, open word or anything. I also can't select system 9.2 on startup, only X.

I'm lost with this system. DOn't really know where to begin troubleshooting....

Please help!! I'm abroad and need my computer/applications for work everyday. I should have waited.

Thanks!

PD

Try using the option key at boot to select your startup if your Mac has open firmware.
At least you can boot into 9 if you can do the above.

For some reason, things are working again. I rebooted 5-6 times and now it works. all;s well that ends well!

Thanks!

PD

I would start-up in single user mode and run fsck -y at the command prompt. I also had to rebuild my classic desktop to get classic working for me correctly.

Well, I was hasty thinking all was well again. Can't get any third party apps to launch. they either hang the system with a static beach ball or they just keep bouncing. I'm connected via classic now and that seems to work well thank god.

I reinstalled the 10.1 update but that didn't help at all.

What's fsck -y and how do I do that? Through the terminal?

Thanks for your advice!!!

PD

i dont know what that is but i do know that its a terminal command. if you want to know, then in the terminal, just type "man fsck" and it will tell you all bout it, what it does, and what else goes with the command. if things are like you said, and its not just third party applications that dont run and its everything, or most things, well if the terminal doesnt run, theres two things you can do. first, to access the terminal another way, go to the login screen and for the user tpe ">console" with no password. to get outa it just type exit. another way to get to it is to hold down command-s at startup and it will boot you into the terminal. you cant do everything that you can when you use the terminal application but you can still do alot. hmm.. little more explination than needed. oh well, better too much than too little. :D

It's basically a disk repair utility, and it may repair the problems you're having, or it may not! To "boot into single-user mode" hold down command-s at system start. This will give you a terminal and nothing else, so it's a safer environment for running something like fsck.

Back