10.1.1 update logic stinks!

strobe

Puny Member
Good grief Apple, your update mechanism SUCKS!

What, I can't move Mail.app into another directory without everything going haywire?!

There used to be a time when file and folder location didn't matter. I could put the system folder wherever, I could move my applications wherever, I could rename my applications directory. Basically my choices were not dictated by some nazis at some far-off computer HQ.

Next time you decide to update (instead of install) an application, find it using it's creator code like sane MacOS installers would.

Am I alone here?

Hell, I could even rename applications!

I'd hate to think what would happen if I did that with Mail.app. I might as well put a bullet in my head.

Inside my applications folder, I made some subfolders called "Internet", "Graphic" etc. and moved my apps into them.
When I later updated to 10.1.1 the installer didn't find the mail.app because it was located inside the Internet folder. It then created a new folder inside Applications called "mail.app" and moved the update stuff inside this folder. So I still got the old mail.app and that new mail.app folder. This sucks. Hopefully all the other update stuff worked well....

Originally posted by testuser
I agree with you, although I would shy away from terms like Nazi or descriptions of violent suicide.

I find the whole structure of OS X to be a bit bizarre:
* why have both aliases and links? why not9

Originally posted by testuser
I agree with you, although I would shy away from terms like Nazi or descriptions of violent suicide.

I find the whole structure of OS X to be a bit bizarre:
* why have both aliases and links? why not9

I moved all non-Apple apps into categorised folders as Graphics, etc. On starting up those programs they assumed they where starting for the first time (especially Office progs)

I know it's to do with directories to preferences or something, but this would never have been a problem in 9!

(but I still love X, and 9 is just plain weird to use now!)

Much of this rigidity comes from the UNIX underpinnings of OS X. UNIX has a lot of good points, but flexibility ain't one of them.
As for organizing one's stuff in orderly folders, well, you can do that using aliases (or symbolic links, if circumstances require them).
Actually, you should all get LaunchBar, and then you won't care where your apps are because it will be so easy to access them!

:p

A bit off topic here,

But I'd like to know what the SMB "enhancements" were in the 10.1.1 update.

Does anyone know?

I still cannot connect to my Dell webserver using the smb:// string. And I've tried them all!

Thank God for Dave, or I'd still be getting flack from my employees who use PCs,

Originally posted by evildan
A bit off topic here,

But I'd like to know what the SMB "enhancements" were in the 10.1.1 update.

Does anyone know?

I still cannot connect to my Dell webserver using the smb:// string. And I've tried them all!

Thank God for Dave, or I'd still be getting flack from my employees who use PCs,

I have connected with OS X's SMB client to Windows shares on our network, plus Samba on a Sun here. No problems at all.

Back