10.1.2 and Mocrotech USB Smartmedia Reader?

diverman

Registered
I had my Smartmedia reader working... for about 4 days. I just realized that they released drivers for OS X. I installed them. And poof, my card reader was working.

I have the Microtech Snapshot USB Smartmedia card reader. Well, I recently installed the OS X 10.1.2 update. And now I can't use my card reader anymore.

I am not 100% sure that the update is what broke it, but reasonably sure. A lot of what was updated were the USB device support. Particularly the IOUSBMassStorage extension was updated a lot. This is something that the Microtech driver is dependant on.

So, my question... does anyone have one of the Microtech Smartmedia readers? And does it work for them under 10.1.2.

I'm so sad that my excitement of having my card reader working was so short-lived.

I've also posted to Microtech. Hopefully they will get back to me, although I've seen several people say that they often ignore these types of questions, especially if they are getting ready to release a soluition.

Cheers,
-Alex

Oh yeah... here's some info from the system.log when I plug the device in:

Dec 21 18:04:04 zig kextd[48]: loading module: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass.
Dec 21 18:04:04 zig kextd[48]: loading module: com.SCMMicrosystemsInc.driver.SmartMedia.
Dec 21 18:04:04 zig kextd[48]: error (16) loading module: com.SCMMicrosystemsInc.driver.SmartMedia.
Dec 21 18:04:05 zig mach_kernel: Couldn't alloc class "CHPDriver"

That last line does always appear, but usually.

-Alex

I have the USB Cameramate - and I actually installed 10.1.2 just BEFORE installing the drivers, so the damn thing never DID work. *Very* frustrating.

I, too, believe 10.1.2 caused the issue, and I also emailed Microtech about it.

Reviews on Version Tracker about the driver seem to clearly indicate the driver is not compatible with 10.1.2. People with 10.1.1 have it working. Those with 10.1.2 don't.

Joy! I guess we wait another couple months! I certainly hope they get their ass in gear and get these drivers working. I wonder what changed in 10.1.2 so drastically that they were dependent on, that would break their driver with a mere update/patch (3rd number of 10.1.x). Something in the Mass Storage extension, I believe.

-Alex

Herve, you're link meant aboslutely nothing to this thread bro. I know you're foreign and make absolutely no sense, but if you seriously don't have anything to help the guy out don't bother posting. :rolleyes:

Back