10.1.2 hangs when changing NW location

LordCoven

Registered
Hey,

I've upgraded to 10.1.2 recently and have noticed the following (very irksome) bug:

When I change NW location in the Sys Prefs / Network panel, the system seems to work fine, but won't load any new apps in and will also hang when I try to log out or restart the machine.

Has anyone come accross the same problem?

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong??

I'm tempted to try and revert back to 10.1.1 as I had no probs what so ever with that.

Any help is greatly appreciated ;-)

Cheers,

C

I posted this in another network problem too and I think it may apple here as well.

Try creating a new location and type in the same info from your old location setting. When done delete the old location setting and see if that resolves your problem.:p

So far we're looking good with that tip ;-)))
I'll let you know if this changes ..

Thanks for your help ;-)

C

It happened again today.

The last NW location switch I had made was to my standalone location, which has the IP 127.0.0.1 and mask 255.0.0.0 configured -- has 10.1.2 got a prob. with the l0 and en0 configured to the same IP/mask perhaps??

It was a bit different tho, coz it didn't happen right after the switch. I'd switched it on my home from work and kept on working fine. Put it to sleep on the train. Then used it that same evening for a while at home (only Preview app and Finder app). Then used it the next day on the train. Used some open Vim sessions in the Term app, used Textedit app, used Preview app. Then when I tried to launch a new Vim (5.7) session in a term window I already had open from way back, the Term app hung. I was still able to launch apps from the Finder. Then I Force Quit the Term app and after that the Finder would not load any more apps. Did a restart, and like before the whole system hung. Had to force a restart with ctrl alt power.

NOTE: the reason I set up a standalone location is because IE doesn't seem to consider the l0 (loopback) worth checking. So I have to configure the en0 to the same values so that I can do web developement on the go ... has anyone got a workaround to this??

Cheers,

C

I've had a similar system hang, although not so much when I change network locations (things seem to work with Automatic pretty well).

My system often is quite quite slow however after waking from sleep. I was able to launch terminal (slowly) and when I ran: top -u I found that something called kernal_tas was taking up a huge amount of the CPU time (75-100%).

I have no idea how to fix it, but this seems to be the problem. Yours might be the same?

Tibook 500, 512MB, 10.1.2

cpac

... when this happens to my system (iBook 500Mhz chok-a-block) I can't get anything open any more. I've sat and waited for fairly long times, and all that happens is that the icon of the launching app stopps hopping in the Dock, but doesn't actually launch. Plus the apps that hang (Term app in the last scenario) just gives me a spinning disk cursor, so I can't actually get into top or the process list to verify what went wrong! (Although if it happens while I'm connected to my home NW, I *may* be able to ssh into the machine and check that way ...)

I'll try and remember to keep the process viewer open at all times, and maybe I'll see which process it is that hogs the system ... If I find out, I'll post it here.

C

Back