10.1.2 Released

When I hit record, it looks like it's working but when I do something, nothing shows up in the editor window, so I guess it's not recording.

Hi all,

I want to (1) post my findings, (2) get advice about anything I might have done wrong, or (3) get advice about how I might improve something that might be slowing my system down.

Because, it seems that after installing the OSX update, my system runs noticeably slower, for a few things, and faster for nothing. Nothing serious, but here are some examples:

1. bootup. I'm a nerd: I timed my bootup in OSX (actually, I timed *reboots*) and Win2k and WinXP. My bootup time in OSX 10.1.1 was right around 70 seconds. I just did a time test just now, and with OSX 10.1.2, it was right around 2 minutes (120 seconds). Much of that extra time appears after the 'loading extensions' like window, and before the login screen, at the blank blue window. Feels to me like new services running, or, slower DHCP/Network join on my network.

2. launch first application. After logging in, I used to be able to launch e.g. Terminal pretty fast, immediately. Now when I logging in, there is about 20 or 30 seconds of disk chatter. If I try to launch Terminal, it seems to take roughly twice as long. If I wait for the disk chatter to die down, I would say that the launch time is rather comparable to how it was before 10.1.2.

Some details about my machine:

TiBook 667 (standard 30 Gig drive config)
all latest updates applied in order as they were released (this goes for OS9.2.2 as well)
Developer Pack installed
Samba installed
Virtual PC 5.0 installed

Other than that, a pretty vanilla system. If anyone has any ideas, or similar experiences, please let me know. You can reach me at abrams@philos.umass.edu. I'll try to check back here.

Another interesting tidbit I wanted to mention is the funny bug I've seen all along with sorting files by Size in the single-column-folder view. Has anyone else noticed that trying to do this 'crashes' the folder view, in such a way that it never lets you accurately view that folder in single-column-mode again until you do something unusual to let you?

Anyway, I love my mac. I love OSX. If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

-ZeroAltitude

Hi,

I just tired sort by size but nothing happened. It just did what it supposed to.

:p

Hi,

ddma: weird! I wonder if I have a funny setting set that causes this bug to manifest. Hmm. Anyone else? I posted under the troubleshooting thread a 'use case' to reproduce the bug (I work with QA all the time :)).

Here is more info regarding my slower startup:

1. Listening to the startup, it sounds like more daemons or services are starting up. I did not try to run anything when I logged in, and upon logging in, I noticed that the disk chatter continued for 2 minutes. Further, it was the kind of disk chatter that I would associate with a failed daemon startup (i.e. a bunch of clicks, a WAIT_TIMEOUT, a bunch of clicks (RETRY), a WAIT_TIMEOUT, etc.)

What's the best way to tell what service this is? A look in /var/log/system.log was unhelpful.

-ZeroAltitude
abrams@philos.umass.edu

Maybe I am smoking crack, or maybe it's because I jump between OS X & OS 9 so much that I really have no clue what I am talking about BUT....

Classic RUNS faster! I am running Photoshop with no complaints. (I still think OS X's mouse is rather loose compared to OS 9) I am running Outlook Express classic and it rocks. The windows move around, everything seems much snapier.. except my terminal issue, but that is another thread.

I will give it a few days and see if I am back in OS 9. But, in all honesty, this latest upgrade rocks.

Admin

Can someone please post the build number?

I'm sure many of you know this, but for those who don't: go to the Apple menu, select "About This Mac", and click where it says "Version 10.1.2". It should change to say "Build XXXX".

TIA,
--Andy

people with slow startups, when is the last time you defragmented and optimized your hd's? all that noise described in one post sounds like the pieces just might need to be closer to each other. just my guess. i just did a defrag and optimize on saturday and i am getting the boots faster result so far. it was taking quite a while before the optimization.

admin - i remember when 9.2 came out. it improved the speed of 10.0.4 immediately, bigger gains were found when combined with 10.1. so it makes sense to me that it can work the other way around as well, this might make your classic run better. after all the balance between them is a crucial factor that sperates dual boot from using either alone.

of course, maybe you should just be sharing the smoke:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
people with slow startups, when is the last time you defragmented and optimized your hd's? all that noise described in one post sounds like the pieces just might need to be closer to each other. just my guess. i just did a defrag and optimize on saturday and i am getting the boots faster result so far. it was taking quite a while before the optimization.

ok im new to the Mac can you please tell me how to defrag and optimize please, i know how to defrag a pc but not a mac.

thanks

simx, if you're talking about a university system, you're probably fortunate enough to have ssh access to your mail server. You can use the ssh tunnelling to keep a secure connection. To encrypt a pop session (port 25, right?):
Code:
% [b]ssh -l [i]username[/i] -L 1234:pop.univ.edu:25[/b]
and to encrypt the outgoing SMTP session:
Code:
% [b]ssh -l [i]username[/i] -L5678:smtp.univ.edu:110[/b]
I'd suggest making a little script and putting it someplace handy to set up the connection. Now tell Mail.app that your mail server is "localhost", the pop port is 1234 and the smtp port is 5678.

If Mail doesn't let you specify ports (I don't remember) you'll have to do something like ...-L 25:pop.univ.edu:25... and ...-L 110:pop.univ.edu:110... and you'll have to be root (or sudo) to do it.

Cheers.

-Rob

Yeah, IrDA ist there, finally on my TiBook 400. This is one thing I was missing a lot.
Does anyone know if one can use the OS 9 modem descriptions? Or were do I find one for my Siemens mobile?

oddly enough, this update will not fully download at my workplace. Other updates have all been fine for every OS X and product update so far, but 10.1.2 is kaput. My coworker found some obscure thing on apple's site saying to create a new administrative user, log in as him, let the system do an auto-software-update, log out and log back in as your normal user, check to make sure the OS updated, then delete the other user.
Bullsh1t, ain't gonna do it, 10.1.1 works great ;)

To defrag and optimize a Mac, you need something like the latest Norton Utilities/Systemworks or Techtool Pro.

I'm having the same problem here at the office. it will partially download but wont finish. Its really making me mad that software update doesn't work. :mad:

Also my burner is not recognized by anything [toast, discburner, itunes] (stupid ass portable sony burner my dad lets me use after he sold my perfectly fine 12x burner.) :(

None of the websites have the 10.1.2 update on it. I have a beta copy of it, but hell if I install that it will probably bomb my whole system.

I have a pismo pb with only a 10GB hard drive. The OSX partition is at 2GB, and I keep most data and apps on another partition, but it still leaves me at any time with only about 250MB of free space. Every system upgrade requires at least 300MB of free space and for the life of me I can't figure out why. This 10.1.2 upgrade is no different despite being only a 30MB download!

It really is beginning to drive me nuts. I have to start pulling parts of the system off to another partition just to make the upgrade. Here's the kicker. I use Software Update to save the upgrade pkg to another partition, then ran it from there. It said that the upgrade would need only 185MB to install. Relieved I moved back the folders (like the 50MB /library/printers/ folder) I had removed to make room for the upgrade and ran the installer again. This time it wouldn't let me install because I didn't have 300 MB free anymore?

Can anyone tell me why these upgrade installers need 300MB free when they're only a 30MB download (i understand compression can inflate that some) and when the installer itself tells you specifically (only if you already have 300MB free) that it really only needs 185MB free.

:confused:

I'm sure all this will be solved when Santa brings me a 48GB internal hard drive upgrade next week, if he got my list...

rharder: I am really interested in doing that. Could you explain a little bit more, though, like where to put the script, how to get Mail to recognize it and whatnot. I'm kind of confused as how to implement it.

benpoole: I tried the Eudora beta. Absolutely awful. First off, it didn't even work when I tried to use SSL or Kerberos, and second, the interface is all cluttered. It would be just so nice if I could use Mail.app.

Back