10.1.2 Released

Originally posted by Ralph J.
hmmmm...seems snappier. classic launches faster now.

what else is new or changed? post your observations to this thread.

edit: i've noticed there's now more options in the contextual menus for the finder, mail and stickies.

Ralph, what differences in the Finder context menus did you see? I haven't noticed any differences.

did anyone else notice that the docs for apache /Library/Documentation/Services/apache/ changed in a bad way. (now, I can't say for sure that it wasn't broken before, cause I'm not sure, just that it is broken now) it seems that many of the html pages have been named with a duplicate '.html', as in 'index.html.html'. about 31 of the files are affected thusly, and it makes navigating the docs via a web browser impossible until each name is changed to remove the extra '.html'. I'm guessing that someone had extension hiding turned on and mistakenly added an extra extension to the updated files.

Just thought it was worth pointing out.

l8r)

I noticed that that happened to me too. I'm hosting 2 sites on my machine for development purposes, so I have 2 virtual hosts setup. Of course, doing that messes up with the page that you would normally get when you go to http://localhost/

I tried taking out the virtual hosts in the httpd.conf file and the default page for http://localhost/ returned, and somehow I was able to browse the documentation, even the files that were named .html.html somehow were found, when it should have been just looking for the .html files

Anyways, I thought that the .html.html was supposed to be like that for some reason, and that the documentation files when viewed from http://localhost/ were treated differently somehow.

I guess I'm going to change those extensions now so I can actually view the documentation.

That is very odd. But, did you notice that for every whatever.html.html there is a whatever.html ? I never touched this stuff, so I don't know what is what, but how do the x.html and x.html.html compare, if you have modified any? Did you do a diff?

This should probably be moved to a different thread, but...

Quick background: ssh is a tool for creating encrypted tunnels between machines, and routing connections through those tunnels. The most common use is just to send a single interactive shell login through there, but you can do the same thing with any tcp connection.

So you can ssh from your computer to your mail server, and tell ssh to also to an additional port on your computer, and forward connections to it through the tunnel, to a specified port on another machine.

Example:

ssh -L 10110:mailserver.name.edu:110 mailserver

Authenticate, and you'll just have a normal shell. Then tell your mail client to use localhost as a mail server, and port 10110. Mail.app will then connect to port 10110 on your machine, on which ssh will be listening, and will be forwarded to your pop service.

You can tie as many forwards onto a single ssh tunnel as you choose. eg: ssh -L 10110:popserver.edu:110 -L 10025:smtpserver.edu:25 server

(Note that the above poster was a little mistaken, and smtp is 25, and pop 110.)

It's slightly more awkward than just having your mail client speak ssl itself, but it's much more versatile; a handy tool to have around.

Originally posted by hazmat

Ralph, what differences in the Finder context menus did you see? I haven't noticed any differences.

hmmm... i thought "Show Info" was new, but maybe it's been there all along and i never noticed before. i'm not much of a contextual menu user, i'm more keyboard shortcut oriented.

Originally posted by Ralph J.

hmmm... i thought "Show Info" was new, but maybe it's been there all along and i never noticed before. i'm not much of a contextual menu user, i'm more keyboard shortcut oriented.

It was always there. :) I use the right mouse button all the time.

Your only bad is that you don't use the context menu enough. ;-) Uif you don't already have one, get a 2/3-button or wheel mouse and expand your horizons. The wheel works really well in OS X, too.

The .html.html problem is related to another problem in OS X, where you can add a .html to the file name and it will add it instead of unhiding the file extension. This is probably why it became .html.html. Also, the .html files are older than the .html.html files, so I would assume that the .html.html files are the ones for this version of Apache. So I suggest tossing all the .html files that have a .html.html substitute, and rename the .html.html files to .html. Did that make sense? :D

About the using SSH thing with Mail.app -- I couldn't get it to work. The server that I connect to to get my mail in Outlook Express is sim.pobox.stanford.edu. So does that mean that the command should look like this?:

ssh -L 10110:sim.pobox.stanford.edu:110 sim.pobox.stanford.edu

If this isn't correct, please correct me. Also, what's with the port 110? Is that the port that SSL authentication uses?

OK, good, it's not just me. I swore I was seeing faster windows resizes on my G4, tho my iMac was still a bit sluggish. I would finally put redraws on a G4 450 at "comfortable", tho in need of an adrenalin boost to finish it off. I presume faster DP machines easily make up the difference and approach glass smoothness. They damn well better anyway.

Originally posted by simX

About the using SSH thing with Mail.app -- I couldn't get it to work. The server that I connect to to get my mail in Outlook Express is sim.pobox.stanford.edu. So does that mean that the command should look like this?:

ssh -L 10110:sim.pobox.stanford.edu:110 sim.pobox.stanford.edu

If this isn't correct, please correct me. Also, what's with the port 110? Is that the port that SSL authentication uses?

The reason it didn't work is sim.pobox.stanford.edu appears not to have an ssh server running. If it did, however, the command line looks good. What it is basically doing is tunneling your POP traffic (port 110) through ssh to the other machine, thereby encrypting it, like SSL would do. Then you have your mail program talk POP to localhost's port 10110.

There is one new things that I am really happy about... At ling last downloaded files/mounted volumes are not pushed two inches to the left on my screen just because the filename falls under the dock. (See enclosed pix)

This alone makes this update worth its weight in gold. :D

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 25
Here's one improvement, if I am correct. So far, since 10.1.2, I haven't had to log out and log back in when changing app icons.

And the problem, sort of, is that both my home and work Macs reported problems during the 10.1.2 upgrade, and made me save the upgrade to a file and apply it that way. Worked fine executing the file, but not through Software Update.

Originally posted by blb

The reason it didn't work is sim.pobox.stanford.edu appears not to have an ssh server running. If it did, however, the command line looks good. What it is basically doing is tunneling your POP traffic (port 110) through ssh to the other machine, thereby encrypting it, like SSL would do. Then you have your mail program talk POP to localhost's port 10110.

So an ssh server is different from SSL authentication? I thought that maybe SSL authentication just used the ssh shell. Whatever.

Is there any OTHER way via the Terminal that will allow Mail.app to receive e-mails from such a server?

So an ssh server is different from SSL authentication? I thought that maybe SSL authentication just used the ssh shell. Whatever.

Is there any OTHER way via the Terminal that will allow Mail.app to receive e-mails from such a server?

Yup, ssh is different from SSL. ssh, secure shell, is a secure replacement for rsh/rcp/telnet/ftp and also lets you do things like port tunneling to encrypt otherwise unencrypted traffic. SSL, secure socket layer, is a way of encrypting traffic at the network socket layer. The big difference between ssh's port tunneling and using SSL is SSL has to be built into the application, but ssh can be used with applications which don't support any secure method of communication.

As for a Terminal-based method to do SSL-wrapped POP, fetchmail comes with Mac OS X, and it has support for SSL. Haven't looked to see if Apple compiled it in, but it may be worth a shot.

good golly miss molly!!
this thread reads like a cocktail party conversation. I've been too busy to play with it much since upgrading but to add a little more to the answer about how to defrag & optimize - this requires buying a software program. I will give my opionions of the major three - all of which i own.

1. techtool pro - also a good diagnostic and repair tool, includes a virus checker. is perhaps the best value of all. defrag is done seperately from optimization and will at times only defrag if certain conditions are not met. claims to be completely safe in preventing loss of data in case of interruption. drawback - slowest of the three.

2. optimizer plus - can be bought alone or with diskwarrior - i recommend getting the combo. diskwarrior saved my drive when all others failed recently. op is also interuption safe and does partials in case of obstacles. it is slightly faster than TTP.

3. speed disk - part of Norton utilities which also diagnoses and repairs. fastest of them all. can lose all your data if interrupted. defrags and optimizes in one sweep but will not circumvent obstacles. least recommended but the one most people have because they advertise and promote the most .

the latest version of all these work with osx but must be run from another disk using 9.

so simx , you were saying...

The .html.html problem is related to another problem in OS X, where you can add a .html to the file name and it will add it instead of unhiding the file extension. This is probably why it became .html.html. Also, the .html files are older than the .html.html files, so I would assume that the .html.html files are the ones for this version of Apache. So I suggest tossing all the .html files that have a .html.html substitute, and rename the .html.html files to .html. Did that make sense? :D

Now that I'm changing the names of my .html.html files to only .html, I noticed that only some files on my machine with the .html extension are older than the .html.html while a few have the same date as the .html.html

Back