10.1.3 and Local Networking

AKMedia

Registered
Since upgrading both my PB Pismo and my iMac DV SE 400 from 10.1.2 to 10.1.3, choosing "Connect to Server..." from the Finder's Go menu now takes an excruciatingly long time -- at least a minute -- to present the Connect to Server Log In dialogue box when trying to network the two computers using AppleTalk or Local Network. Following the long wait, I am finally able to log in and mount the remote volume(s).

However, trying to connect to a third computer running MacOS 8.6 takes only a few seconds.

My computers are connected through a Linksys Cable/DSL router that had been really snappy in 10.1.2.

Can anyone tell me why there is such a slowdown and how to fix it?

Also, my computers are set to be served a DHCP address by the router. Subsequently, I have multiple IP addresses listed in Connect to Server -- most of which are incorrect. How can I delete obsolete IP address for my various computers?

Thanks for your help.

One interesting sidebar is that when I switch my network ethernet settings to Manual or Manual Using DHCP Router (as opposed to Using DHCP as is suggested by my Linksys Router), the Log In dialogue box pops right up with no delay after choosing "Connect to Server..." Of course I then loose Internet connectivity. So it seems that DHCP serving plays a role in this type of slow down.

I'm having the same trouble here. If I have one computer running OS 9, my LAN speed is fine. But if they're both running X, then, say, iTunes playing files off the other computer's HD will skip horrendously, file copies take FOREVER, its very distressing, especially considering how great OS X is supposed to be with networking. I've had TONS of trouble getting network speed up to par with my two OS X boxen :(

I've had similar problems after upgrading to 10.1.3. The solution, don't upgrade! It's horrible! I don't know if it's possible to uninstall 10.1.3, although i doubt it and will probably have to reinstall the system. Stick with 10.1.2 and wait until the next upgrade comes along.

i didn't have a chance to try the network thing with 10.1.2, as i only had 1 OS X box then. I just built a nice G3 from spare parts and now its running X.1.3 as is my G4, and now the network speed blows. I just can't win :( don't feel like reinstalling to be honest, guess I'll just have to wait for an update :( and here i am going to Apple's OS X feedback page....

Back