10.1.3 optimizing crashed G4...

Zesty

Registered
Hey all-

My Sawtooth G4 locked up while doing the optimization part of the 10.1.3 update, and I had to actually hit the reset switch. Now the machine reports that 10.1.3 is installed, and uname -a reports kernel 5.3, but I'm afraid that I may have messed something up. What exactly does the optimization part do, anyway?

BTW, has anyone noticed slower ssh connect times with the upgrade?

The optimization is simply doing a prebinding routine, the same as "sudo update_prebinding -root /" in the Terminal or running XOptimize.
By the time you reach the optimization stage, the installation is already complete. Just rerun the update_prebinding and you should be fine.

I ran the update and all went well until it started Optimisation. About half way through I clicked the desktop and hit the File Menu - it disappeared on me. Then I moved a window and the redraw was all over the place. Then the Menu Icons vanished and finally the desktop pattern went! All while optimizing. Then it froze. So I restarted.

Still worked ok though!! Except that my Terminal reports -
[unknown_42:~] aled%
I can't remember what it was supposed to say. Localhost I think.

I ran XOptimise after just to make sure it got done.

Anyway if that's all that is broke I don't care. It seems to be a little faster. I'm due for a re-install soon anyhow.

Same here (G4 Cube 450). HD was still churning, so I left it until it stopped, then rebooted. Seems to be fine since.

Jim

Back