10.1.3?

John Melby

Registered
I haven't heard a peep out of anybody lately about the release date of the alleged 10.1.3 update--which makes me wonder if indeed there is going to be an update at all. Does anyone out there know anything about this that s/he would care to communicate to this list?

The latest build I saw was 5Q43. The list of fixed bugs was smaller than the last one I saw but still a bit long for my 'security feeling'. I'd rather let them fix it. Also the ReadMe contained a note saying that after applying the 10.1.3 update prerelease you would not be able to upgrade to any further build of 10.1.3. I don't know whether one could still install it by removing the installation receipt, but I wouldn't try on my production system.

The latest rumours are saying that Apple wants to make sure they get it right. No stuff like the iTunes 2 disaster and such things.

The new features among the latest builds are the same as before: Support for more CDRW drives, DVD playback on external displays on TiBooks (finally!) and bug fixes.

As my 10.1.2 is running quite well, so I believe we all do well and just wait a bit longer. It's a dotdot update with not that many new features.

As for 10.2 builds, I haven't heard anything new, either. The build that went around the world (6B11) is last year's news, so I would believe it might well be past the initial feature setting phase now. The question that springs to my mind here is the rumours that were suggesting that 10.2 would be 64bit clean (to some extent) for the G5. I guess with Apple now saying that the G4 has yet some months or even years to live, those plans are suspended.

My guess is that Apple will release 10.2 (6Xxx) as 10.5 in July at Macworld as a full-pay upgrade with rebates for owners of 10.0/10.1 (you are a 10.1 owner as a 10.0 owner, the upgrade was free).

Let's look a *little* deeper into the crystal ball... What will the March 2003 upgrade be called? Mac OS X 10.6? Mac OS X 11? (X11, hehe...) Mac OS 11.0? Mac OS XI (stoopid)?

I'm very much for dropping the 'X', although it's of course kind of a brand name, but Steve himself urged us to look at it as a Roman number, so it'll delete itself out of the name when 11 comes, right? Hmm... Of course there could be Mac OS 2003 and then Mac OS Advanced and then a completely new naming scheme. But that would be msish.

Back