10.1.4 Buggy? Go back to 10.1.3?

mindbend

Registered
I have have had tons of trouble since downloading 10.1.4. I can't necesarily pin it on 10.1.4, but the timing coincides. Just wondering if others are having any oddities. Here's a sampling:

1. Suitcase no longer shows most OpenType fonts properly, instead listing them as generic sans serif renders.
2. Suitcase also is reporting damaged or missing fonts as though they're going out of stye. Every time I launch it there's a new damaged font that just worked moments ago!
3. Apps crashing like crazy. Formerly super stable apps now crash with consistency.
4. Print Manager crashes at least 50% of the time. Every other print requires a respool.

As for going back to 10.1.3, can I simply use the 10.1.3 installer and Install or do I need to do some sort of Uninstall of 10.1.4? How do I get back to 10.1.3 in other words? Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your problems with 10.1.4. For me it was a blessing as it fixed the" spinning wheel of death" problem with the Internet Connect Utility.

Your question was posed on another forum the other day. And the answer is that you are going to have to do a clean install of V 10.1.1 and do all the upgrades to get you to 10.1.3.

BTW have you restart your machine in single user terminal mode (cmd+S) after the bong and did a "fsck -y" and a "sudo update_prebinding -root/" command? I don't profess to be a Unix wizard, but I think the first one fixes broken links on the disk and the second ties everything together. It has fixed alot of problems for me and it is quick and free.

exact same problems for me: 10.1.4 basically has driven me to using my XP laptop with flash, as I can't use a majority of fonts anymore on my OSX!!!!!

The even sadder thing is that, XP seems so fast and tidy and that's worrying me!

to be more specific you must start with an original install disk and implement all succesive updates. Apple suggests you do this after reformatting. Several of us have had success at doing it over the top of our existing systems without erasing. of course, making sure you have your data backed up would be a good idea.

Ed,

To be specific, are you saying that I may be able to use my 10.1.1 installer disc and simply "Install" right on top of 10.1.4? And then install the updates back to 10.1.3, of course. So I may not need to do a full blown reformat? That would be cool. I backup my stuff every night to tape and two redundant external hard drives, so I'm not too worried about that.

i see no reason it shouldn't work with a 10.1 FULL install disc, not the update disk that was provided for free unless you have done that special thing to it to make it a full install disc.;)

myself, testuser and some others have all successfully reinstalled over the top of our previous versions. and then stop where you want. Once i tried the stopping one version behind thing and then eventually got brave and went to the current version. the problems i had blamed on the version were gone and it worked fine after that.

i repeat, apple recommends against this and they state some particular reasons somewhere. somebody used to wave them in my face and say it 'couldn't' be done because of those reasons but they never seemed to apply to anyone who did it.absolutely no one i have told about this has complained about troubles caused by it. everyone so far has said "thanks" afterwards.

of course if you are doing something unusual like running off of ufs or who knows what, then it might not work so well.

I tried installing my 10.1 disk, but my hard drive was greyed out it said it couldn't do it because it installed multiple languages or something like that?????

What now?

just a guess, but i would try deleting the languages. You will get the chance to reinstall them later as you do updates i would think. perhaps just move them out of their assigned folders to be sure if you really need them.

i admit that i did mine before all the language updates were released so i never encountered that.

Back