10.1.4: This is so not funny :(

Colin Hoffmann

Registered
So, I rebooted after installing both the IE and OSX Updates and try to log in, but after I enter my username and password the screen flickers for a moment and i get the Login-Screen again! I tried every User, including root, it's the same with all of them ...
But: This only happens with the GUI-Login, in Command line mode everything works just fine, so it's not the Netinfo-Database - but what is it?

AAAAAAAAArrrgghhh! :eek:
What am I to do now?

Please help me
Thanks and Greetings from Switzerland
Colin

When you successfully login to the command line side, check to see if there's anything helpful in /var/log/system.log:
Code:
tail -40 /var/log/system.log
Especially look for anything with loginwindow or WindowServer.

If you're booting into single user mode (ie: straight to command line, not to the user window first), then I don't think the system is using NetInfo, but the normal /etc files.

I may be wrong with that, but that was my understanding of the behavior of the system.

Originally posted by Colin Hoffmann
So, I rebooted after installing both the IE and OSX Updates and try to log in, but after I enter my username and password the screen flickers for a moment and i get the Login-Screen again! I tried every User, including root, it's the same with all of them ...
But: This only happens with the GUI-Login, in Command line mode everything works just fine, so it's not the Netinfo-Database - but what is it?

AAAAAAAAArrrgghhh! :eek:
What am I to do now?

Please help me
Thanks and Greetings from Switzerland
Colin

If you boot from X-install CD, you have an option to zap passwords(in one of the menus, can't remember wich). I havn't tried that myself, but it might be worth a try.

/Björn

Back