Um, is it me, or is Sherlock SUPER-FAST now, when it used to be SUPER-SLOW?

Can anybody confirm? Sherlock found 80 results in my home folder from a search for "hi" in about 10 seconds, when normally that would probably take at least a minute.

Yeah, looks like Sherlock has started taking Speed.

Still not as fast as searching with the Terminal, but it is still an improvement.

I'm cross-posting, but oh well.

It tells me I don't have 300MB of free space on my boot volume. It lies. I have 2.7 gigs. Anyone else getting this?

I may in fact have had less than 300MB of space before, but I had a lot in my trash. I emptied it with the Terminal (permissions problems with some files) but I'm still getting the error. Help?

-the valrus

About three times. But I think I did something since the last time I restarted, so maybe I'll try it again. :p

Restarting fixes so many things.

-the valrus

Quoted from Tormente:
"Global Folder setting to be... well... Global!
A quick way to set ALL folders to the same view and icon size!"

Would this mean only ONE invisible .DS_Store file somewhere in the system?

It's time-consuming having to reboot into OS 9 and delete them from website folders before uploading.

I deleted over 800 of 'em yesterday. Got a kernel panic today. Sigh.

Originally posted by Lazzo
Would this mean only ONE invisible .DS_Store file somewhere in the system?

It's time-consuming having to reboot into OS 9 and delete them from website folders before uploading.

I deleted over 800 of 'em yesterday. Got a kernel panic today. Sigh.

Only one invisible .DS_Store file would NOT be the solution to this problem. What Apple needs to do is to store .DS_Store information (window preferences, usually) LOCALLY on your hard drive somewhere, not on the server volume itself.

If Apple centralized the .DS_Store files making them into one big file, it could easily get corrupted, forcing you to delete it and make ALL of your window preferences revert to system defaults. With them all separate, if one gets corrupted, it only affects that folder, and you can easily delete without ill effects to your entire set of window preferences.

If you want to use OS X to get rid of them on the server, just use this command in OS X's terminal:

find / -name .DS_Store -exec rm {} \;

Make sure the green slash is the path to your network drive. So, for example, if you have your iDisk mounted, the path to it would be /Volumes/simx.

Of course, this solution only works if you can actually mount the hard drive on your desktop.

Thanks simX. I see your point...

People who understand Unix must've been going bonkers with questions from Mac users this past year.

The Terminal command looks like just what I need.

Cheers!

use

find startdir -name .DS_Store -print0 | xargs -0 rm

-print0 and -0 in order to handle correctly filenames with whitespace in them. (both zero looking characters are indeed zeroes)

startdir is the name of the directory where you want to have your search started; if /, it will traverse all mounted filesystems (including iDisk, etc) and probably take forever.

Back