10.1.5 and FW Hard Drive

Daeyin

Registered
Since upgrading to 10.1.5 anytime a firewire cable is plugged into the back of the machine, my G4 won't go to sleep or even put my monitors to sleep... anyone else having this trouble?

Fortunately, I haven't had quite your problem, and in your case I'd wonder about the integrity of the Firewire cable and/or some problem with the port. I also have a Firewire drive connected (LaCie) to a dual 1G G4 tower, and since installing Retrospect 5.0.205 the Firewire drive won't spin down when the rest of the system goes to sleep :confused:

Obviously, there are a lot of Firewire compatability issues!

Well. I ran through everything I could think of:

Reinstall
Remove 2nd Graphics Card
Remove all Firewire stuff

Then I starting quiting apps.

As it turns out, if AOL IM is on, my monitor won't go to sleep.
:( I like AOL IM.... *sigh*

But I like the smoother GUI that 10.1.5 seems to give me more.

If I've understood correctly, "Jaguar," code name for the next "big" 10.1 update will include software compatable with AIM and several other instant messaging protocols. So, by the end of the summer you should be able to have the latest OS X and access to AIM

:cool:

ok, i admit i don't IM, but what is the point of having AIM launched while you are not at your computer and don't expect to be for a while? why not just quit aim when you are leaving and then launch it again when you wake it up? It's not like you need to get instant messages when your computer is sleeping, right?

My job often requires that people be able to find me fast. I leave an away message so that they know where I went and when I plan to be back.

:D

ah hah. like i said, i don't im.

so if work is footing the bill for the juice, what's the issue? screen saving is highly overrated in my experience anyway.

Another point about screen savers: They're nice, fun, pretty, etc., but with today's monitors, especially TFTs, but also modern CRTs, there's much less chance of "burn in," than with the green phosphor screens that spawned screen savers in the first place. Actually, one could leave a monitor on, full blast, for 5-6 years before even reaching the mean time to failure!

OK, OK, so I'm wordy... basically, I'm agreeing with Ed about screen savers.

:)

Back