10.1.5 pain in the neck!

WhateverJoe

echo $row['what_tha'];
Does anyone know of an easy way to downgrade back to 10.1.4 ?

I have had such an annoying problem after updating to .5 ... I use the same laptop (PowerBook G4) at work and at home... While at work I plug in my lan-line (100BT) and an external monitor..... When I go home I close the lid un-plug everything and go home... where I have an AirPort BS pluged into my Cable modem... and I use to simply sit on the couch and open the lid... and quickly start doing what ever ........

Since 10.1.5 update.... It never has worked this away again... I have to reboot when I get home.... After having been plugged into an ethernet connection and external monitor.... when I get home and open the lid... the
desktop is there and I can click on something... but it will "BeachBall" until I force Quit it... it even does it for Finder itself.... and it even BeachBalls when trying to click on Apple and then Restart.... I was having to force powerdown
and rebooting....

However.... after having rebooted and working fine and dandy at home... just closing the lid like usual and getting to work... and pluging everything in like usual.... it works fine... but when I close the lid and get home and open the lid..... Same thing...

So basicly I have been Powering down to go home... And it totaly sucks.. I don't know if it's related to having the ethernet pluged up or the second monitor or both... but it simply does not like it when both are not there when it wakes up again from a closed lid sleep...

So I'm wanting 10.1.4 back !

You don't want 10.1.4 back. You want to create 'locations' in 'System Preferences: Network'. 10.1.5 - and Jaguar 6C48 for that matter - seem to have troubles right now deciding which network adapter should be active. Just create two locations (home, work) where only one adapter is activated.

fryke,

I thought of that, and just tried that lastnight.. but I goofed up because, I didn't select the "Home" location before closing the lid and leaving work...

When I got home and clicked on the apple menu to do it... it beachball`ed and the apple menu never came down... so again I was force powering down to reboot....

I guess I try it again today when I leave work... It just sucks that it's not like before...

I never had to mess with anything.... I could plug an ethernet cable up and unplug it ... didn't matter... it simply worked (with a second or two pause in network conectivity)

I hope it comes back like that in future updates and Jaguar

That makes sense. I use airport and have no problems. However I use locations and only have the active port selected for each location (i.e. for Home - airport only). It is definitely worth a try.

R.

Actualy what I think it is... is DHCP related... because even at work I have a wireless connection as well... but when I'm in my office I'm pluged in via ethernet ....

The funny thing is... when I unplug everything and take my laptop to a conference room and open up... it's fine... it switches to the airport card like usual and doesn't beachball at all... and vise versa... going back to the office and plugging up ethernet....

But at work both the Airport and eth0 interface are on the same network... when I go home it's a private 10.x.x.x network and what I feel is happening is network services is getting hung on releasing the assigned information received at work on the Aiport interface and obtaining a new Lease from the Airport BS .... <--- this is where this issue is from what I can see...

like mentioned above I'll try a "Locations" method.. but I feel it's going to do the same thing because I use the Airport interface at both locations...

I'll see.... perhaps creating a script that brings down the interface and a script to bring it back up will be the trick ... take it down before I leave... bring it back up when I get home......

But I don't understand why it works fine like it always has when I leave home and the Interface has the 10.x.x.x Lease and get to work and it Drops then Renews a Lease from work... with out any hickups ....

Ahhh... I'm just tired of figuring things out ... it is what it is ..... as spock would say.....

Locations may help you release IP leases - it would be a bit of a hole in the functionality if it didn't.

Otherwise there has been threads regarding releasing DHCP leases elsewhere here somewhere - usually in regard to ghost computers appearing in local network browser - may be worth a search.

Hope that you get it sorted out.

R.

Apple posted a fix for this yesterday I think. I saw it on Macnn's main page. Scroll down a ways.

Go to Library then Preferences then look for com.apple.powermanagement.plist. Throw in trash and restart.

This may help you.

Back