10.1 and energy management : is it there ?

Pascal

Official visitor
I'm wondering if Apple has finally brought Mac OS X 10.1's energy management abilities on par with those of Mac OS 9.

(As you may know, a Mac running Mac OS X 10.0.4 is not Energy Star compliant (see the Apple documentation that came with your new Mac).)

I really like Mac OS X, but I cannot really use it with my iBook because it uses the battery charge in less than 2 hours... (one could argue that I could plug my computer... but that sort defeats the purpose of a portable !!! :D )

Does anyone have the answer ???

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Wow, I didn't know that OS X was THAT much of a power hog, making Macs not energy STAR compliant! I'm surprised that software can hike up power consumption that much.

Pascal

Official visitor
À propos de la norme ENERGY STAR

Les informations relatives à ENERGY STAR figurant dans le manuel de votre ordinateur s'appliquent aux configurations standard de l'ordinateur sous le système d'exploitation Mac OS 9.

Rough translation :

About the ENERGY STAR standard

Informations pertaining to ENERGY STAR in your computer's manual apply to the standard configurations of the computer running the Mac OS 9 operating system.

Source : iBook Mac OS X addendum leaflet (À lire avant de commencer), F033-1779-A, Apple Computer, 2001.

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
Ive attached the Energy Saver system preference panes from 10.1 so you can see whether it has been upgraded from 10.0.4.

Attachments

Pascal

Official visitor
This picture doesn't really prove anything, unfortunately, since you don't have a portable Mac. (Historically, at least, the energy saving options available on a portable and on a desktop machine were very different...) I guess I'll have to wait and see !

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
Thats true, with the way the new OSX installs are configured, the installer would likely do some detection magic and adjust the energy install accordingly. Good luck.