10.1 Install CD won't boot on beige G3

Video? Hm... kind of sounds like Tech Support clutching at straws... still, I suppose anything is possible. :)

It might be interesting to be drastic and go as far as removing the battery and resetting the motherboard. WARNING: I was informed by tech support at apple that it was not a good idea to hit the reset on the motherboard - on the flip side, I've done it multiple times... at any rate, removing the battery should be the final straw to any saved info in memory of *any* sort.

I'm assuming at this point, you've gone through the whole process of using only one hard drive (set to master at the end of the cable) on a different bus (also set to master and at the end of the cable). It would make sense (vaguely) if OS X was getting confused on which partition it was supposed to open. OS 9 and before were all a *lot* more forgiving in that department.

I have removed the battery once. It didn't make a difference. I will try it again. I will try the hard drive on a different bus. I appreciate your comments. I'm not a novice user. I've had a Mac since my first Lisa machine. I've just never run into this tenacious a problem before. My wife(a Wintel user) is enjoying my grumblings with a satisfied smugness.

jmcmike

This is mostly off topic... but that's kind of funny. My wife has a wintel background as well (mine's Mac and Linux) and we sometimes get into joking arguments about Mac vs. PC - although either one of us is happy using whatever is available.
Anyway, when I was having similar issues, my solution was to start "grumbling" about Apple adopting industry "standards" such as ATA/IDE drives in the first place. :)

Hi Guys,

I'm amazed by all the replies. The 'problem' is now solved and you wouldn't believe how simple the solution was, well quite simple.

Those who have used macs for awhile might recall that apple released a 14inch MultipleScan monitor in the mid nineties. The first batch of those had a 'bug' in the hardware so that they couldn't display higher resolutions correctly. Now, I have one of those, and a 20inch apple MS monitor as second screen. So what happened was that the installer booted up with the small screen as the main screen and the big one as secondary. However it tried to use a high res on the smaller one so it just went black. And the big one obviously just displayed the blue background.

After some clicking I managed to, blindfolded, grab the installer window from the small monitor and drag it onto the big one. Hey presto problem solved! Silly, I know. but there you go.

Another question, Where can I find a list of supported 3rd party IDE CD-RW drives?

thanks for all the help and suggestions.

/p

Back