10.1 Many steps forward, one giant leap back in my network

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
Finally put 10.1 on. Very nice. Not a huge speed bump for my desktop (haven't tried it on the laptop yet) as I have 384 MB RAM and that seems to be the single greatest factor in 10.0.4's performance. But it's still a great improvement, no doubt.

However... I can no longer file share with my Win98 box. Any help appreciated. DAVE no longer works once you upgrade, and unless I'm a moron, samba is good for W2K/NT, but doesn't apply to 9x. Very annoying to no longer be able to swap files between my two boxes.

The other thing is that the mouse prefernces don't stick if you unplug your mouse and plug it back in. I have a KVM switchbox to use the same USB keyboard and mouse and switching causes the tracking speed to go back to default when I return to OSX. Annoying. Not critical, but annoying.

All in all it's great though. If anyone has found a way to network 9x and 10.1, do tell.

-Rob

Samba works, kind of. I was messing with it yesterday, and found the only way I could get the Windows Moi machine to recognize my OS X..IV box is to turn on guest access for those directories. While it's a crappy way to do it, it's fine for me since I have a closed network with two computers, anyway. I should note I used the Samba Server Config Tool, which you can find at Version Tracker.

The other option for files with Windows Watasi is just turning on FTP access on the OS X computer, and typing "ftp://user:password@thecomputer.com" in the place where it says "C:\Pieceofcrap". This'll create a folder you can then access in the Network Neighborhood...thing.

Like I said, not perfect (if it was perfect, it wouldn't be Windows), but it works.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
Samba works, kind of. I was messing with it yesterday, and found the only way I could get the Windows Moi machine to recognize my OS X..IV box is to turn on guest access for those directories.
You need to maintain an encrypted smbpasswd file if you want to use NT lanman authentication with Samba (either that, or enable plaintext passwords in Windows). See the smbpasswd manpage for more information, and read up on the 'encrypt passwords' directive in the smb.conf manpage. I'm running it under OSX (10.0.4) and it works just fine from 95, 98, NT and w2k; I even had my dual USB iBook act as a primary domain controller for a bit of fun. I'm using the samba from xamba.sourceforge.net.

I've tried Samba. I had it going ever so briefly in 10.0.4 but then installed DAVE and all was well with the world.

I tried again in 10.1 but no go. SCCT bounces in the dock and then instantly fades out on me. I can configure everything with SWAT, but when I try to start smbd it ponders it for awhile and then the status is still "not running." No idea why it won't run. Somehow I think it's related to me running 10.1 now, but I couldn't tell you why. Process viewer confirms that it ain't running.

I guess the ftp option is worth a try, but not very elegant (actually it sounds like a pain... but it might be the best I've got). There's web sharing too, that would work, but even more of a pain.

-Rob

I thought of another solution... upgrade to W2K :) . I do plan on doing that soon anyway, but right now I want to solve this, more for the challenge than anything else. Within a few months I imagine it will be fairly moot though, as most people will have some form of W2K/NT/XP running.

-Rob

Originally posted by ink

You need to maintain an encrypted smbpasswd file if you want to use NT lanman authentication with Samba (either that, or enable plaintext passwords in Windows). See the smbpasswd manpage for more information, and read up on the 'encrypt passwords' directive in the smb.conf manpage.

Thanks, ink, that's exactly what I needed to know. I knew to have encryption on, but I had no idea how to deal with users and passwords. Now everything works like a charm. Granted, I have no real need for passwords security, but it makes it that much cooler.

Finally got it to work. To anyone curious as to the how:

DAVE is evil. OK, maybe not, but it messes up samba in 10.1. I ran the uninstall off of the installer. Then you can mount Win 9x w/
smb://workgroup;username@machinename/shared_drive_or_folder

Works like a charm. Now if only there were a way to do it automatically at login....

-Rob

Back