10.1: Really slow PC Zip performance...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Anyone else experiencing this:

Copying files to a PC formatted zip disk, the copy is ultra slow. Slow as in 25 minutes on a dualG4/800. This should take under a minute to a Mac formatted zip disk.

Also, I've already complained about the invisible files 10.1 leaves behind on the disk. Apple really needs to improve this. Most professional Mac users have to exchange files with PC users on a daily basis, and the Mac needs to be able to seamlessly (and expeditiously) write to Zip disks, at least as good as OS 9.2...

This is about the one area where I am disappointed with 10.1...

While this isn't exactly a fix, it is interesting to know.

A zip 250 will take up to twice as long to write to a zip 100 disk. I wasn't aware of this until right before I bought my 867. I had a 100 installed so I wouldn't have to wait for a 250 and am I glad. We recently got Quicksilver 733's at my office and they all have 250's, we only have 100 disks. It takes almost ten minutes to copy 80MB...when I get home to pull the files off the zip...about a minute or two...just a little tidbit. While I'm sure this has nothing to do with PC/Mac formatted zips it's just good to know.

Hmmm. I think you're right. I wonder if this problem (slow writing to Zip100 disks from Zip250 drives) happens on Windows as well - meaning, is this a fault of Apple's drivers for the Zip250 drives, or is it a fault of the firmware for the Zip250 drives?

Same thing happen to PC.

It takes forever to copy files to the 100MB Zip with the internal IDE 250MB Zip drive.

Back