10.1 : Upgrade from Apple or Retailers?

Laurent LaSalle

Registered
I can imagine that Apple had to deal with a certain paranoia over pirates that will make copies of a full version of Mac OS X 10.1, but this Up-To-Date program is not as simple as it should be. First, you need to fill and send Apple the Upgrade Order Form from their website INCLUDING a copy of a receipt proving that you DID buy Mac OS X 10.0. Then you wait about 6 to 12 weeks? Come on! Updating from Mac OS X Beta to Mac OS X 10.1 was WAY quicker and easier than that : I received an email straight from Apple (since they kept my email address an info on my purshase of Mac OS X Beta) giving me a phone number and a special "Thank you for your participation in the Mac OS X Beta Program" coupon of $45 OFF my purchase of Mac OS X 10.0 via Apple Store. I called, talked to a nice lady, got my order in less than a week and voilà!

So why is ordering this upgrade is so complicated? I SURE HOPE PROVING THAT I DID BUY Mac OS X 10.0 WILL GET ME A FULL INSTALL CD OF Mac OS X 10.1, or else it'll be just too weird! Is Apple thinking : "Well, we better make sure that all of those who wants to update for 10.1 DID bought a 10.0 version, since the update disc is so... not a full install version, so even if they make copies, it doesn't really matter!"

I want to list all the possible "versions" of Mac OS X 10.1 if you will :

Mac OS X 10.1 "Instant Up-To-Date" — Free from Seybold
Includes : 1 Mac OS X 10.1 Upgrade CD

Mac OS X 10.1 "Up-To-Date Program" — Free (20$ S&H) from Apple
Includes : 1 Mac OS X 10.1 Upgrade CD, 1 Mac OS 9.2 CD and 1 Developper CD

Mac OS X 10.1 "Upgrade" — Free from Retailers
Includes : 1 Mac OS X 10.1 Upgrade CD and 1 Mac OS 9.2 CD

Mac OS X 10.1 "Upgrade-That-Cost-Ya" — Around $20-$25 from Retailers
Includes : 1 Mac OS X 10.1 FULL INSTALL CD and 1 Mac OS 9.2 CD

Mac OS X 10.1 "Full" — $129 from Apple & Retailers
Includes : 1 Mac OS X 10.1 FULL INSTALL CD, 1 Mac OS 9.2 CD and 1 Developper CD

CORRECT ME if I'm wrong. This information is based on what I read so far on this board. If all of this is correct, I think it is safe to say that buying the upgrade from a retailler is the obvious choice! Who cares about having a Developper CD if its available for download?

Back