10.1 when in September?

wdw_

Rockee
Does anybody know when in September 10.1 is coming out? Steve wasn't that specific, but that might have been because he didn't know yet.

I would think it's coming out at the Paris Expo, because Steve is going there himself. He wouldn't leave somebody else to announce 10.1, would he? That would make it the 13th. Then again, I might be totally wrong, confused and biased (I really want it to come out the 13!), so feel free to correct me.

Anyway, even if it is coming out the 25-28, wouldn't it have had to have gone Gold Master by now? 10.0.0 went gold master lest than 20-some days before it shipped...I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!:D

if it's coming out the 25th of september, and today is the 16th of august, there's about 40 days until it comes out, so, there's probably a little while until it goes gold master...

chances are, it will be delayed. The copies that are floating around are just too buggy for 10.1 to be released in 40 days.

I say middle of October.

This is just a guess, with no special facts to back me up. I just don't see how it can possibly be ready by September.

Who knows, maybe they will be able to ship the product with no dvd and no airport support, just the speed inceases. Then in December they will release 10.2 and charge another $20 for it.

-jdog

Originally posted by mr_mac_x
I would think it's coming out at the Paris Expo, because Steve is going there himself. He wouldn't leave somebody else to announce 10.1, would he? That would make it the 13th. Then again, I might be totally wrong, confused and biased (I really want it to come out the 13!), so feel free to correct me.

Anyway, even if it is coming out the 25-28, wouldn't it have had to have gone Gold Master by now? 10.0.0 went gold master lest than 20-some days before it shipped...I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!:D

What do you mean by "that would make it the 13th" ??
Apple expo Paris starts the 26th of September.
And I am so there !!! woooooohooooooo !!!

OSX 10.1 will be available at the AppleExpo, exactly one year after the PBeta. This Expo is the most important computer show in France (more than the PC expo) and is an important expo in Europe. And there is the Seybold show, on the American side.

These shows are the moments to debut intensive marketing operations (we are still waiting for them).

And remember, Apple takes about 3 weeks to put the OSX on the shelves of computer stores after a GM is declared (that was true with PB and 10.0).
So the end of the month is the most probable date.

Another thing : according to reports, the Airport management software seems to be in the builds, and is working. The DVD player is still not usable, and until is it not, Apple should wait. It would be more satisfying for the user to download a finished software on the 26th of september than having a unusable player on a CD at the same date !

apple tried seeding out downloads of beta build of 10.1 to developers, but they pulled it really quickly because it was a 450mb download, and their servers were being overloaded. imagine hundreds of thousands of homeusers downloading 450mb worth of kernel, most of whom use 56k...

OSX 10.1 will be available ath the AppleExpo, exactly one year after the PBeta.
That would be cool to have it come out on Sept 13, on year after the PB. Steve would be up there, saying the PB features and then comparing PB and 10.1 and then 10.1's features (being more specific); a 'look where we are now' thing.

But I doubt it. I would rather wait untill the end of September for a USABLE version. I want a fully-working 10.1 on a CD, not 10.1 on a CD and you can d/l DVD and burning in 2 weeks.

By the way, isn't AppleExpo Paris the 25th or something?

10.1 is still on target for the end of September. Steve will probably announce at AppleExpo that Apple is now taking orders for it. It will not be offered as a download - it's just too big.

Apple will probably start shipping 10.1 right after the Expo. Their web site still says that is coming in September, so until that's changed, I wouldn't expect any delay.

Also, don't worry too much about the builds that are making the rounds (5G24 and lower) being buggy. These builds are about a month old and Apple has probably already fixed most of the bugs internally. Plus, remember the weeks leading up to OS X's launch in March? The builds that came out the week before (4k46 for instance) were very buggy, and Apple was able to make their deadline with only 2 weeks til the shipdate.

I'm extremely eager to get iDVD2. It was promised to be released in September as well, but we haven't heard much about it. It was one of the main reasons I just bought a dual800 w/ Superdrive...

Even if it does come out in sept 28-29 or whatever
it will miss a feature (like os 9 to os x.)'

anyone have any comments?

:p

----------------------------------------------
iMac 1st edition 256 mb sd ram
233 mhz g3 prossesser
running OS 10.0.4

OSX is going to be basically the same in version 10.1 with speed optimization, more compatibility, and a few extras like the side dock. As far as I know, nothing will be removed. Just more enhancements, and what everyone is waiting for is the speed.

Back