10.2.1 Server Apache problem

doemel

Mac addict since 1993
A couple of days I installed Jag server. Everything's cool and nice except (once again :mad: ) for Apple's hampering with Apache. Out of the box they don't only disable mod_auth, they even replace it (as I guess) with a non working mod_auth_apple.
Now, could anyone here tell me to how I can enable Basic WWW-Authentification on 10.2.1 server? I don't need anything fancy from Apple, I just need good old plain mod_auth style access control :)

Use the actual configuration software for the server. You will need to set up groups for the folders you what authenticated using Workgroup Manager. The using the Server Settings application to configure access rights to folders of a specific site or the site itself. This is done by going to the internet tab and selecting Configure web service when you click on the globe. Now double click on the site you want to adjust found under the sites tab. Now click on the access tab and add the folders or adjust the site's access rights as needed using the groups you created.

let me first thank you for the reply. i did what you suggested and now i effectively restricted access to the web root folder as intended. but i don't get a basic auth style login dialog but just a 403 "forbidden" notice. maybe i should make more clear exactly what i want: i am running a server inhouse at my company's that should be accessible from the outside but only with login/password (it used to work perfectly well width htaccess under os x server <10.2). now i'd like that functionality back in 10.2.

It sounds as if you made the restrictions too high. I would check the access settings that you made. This method of setting access creates a .htaccess file tha 10.2 server will read. I am running the admin software on my machine if you would like me to look at your config you could create a temp admin account. I would gladly look and tell you what I see wrong. I will do no harm to your server. I am the web administrator for my company. We are running our site from an xServe. It took me about a week to get by this problem with 10.2 server. If you want me to look email me a Username and password at getzt@mcsd.k12.pa.us

Back