10.2.2 Is Coming

Originally posted by senne
"which features an updated file system"

what's that?

Intereting. It's not really a new file system per say. It is still HFS+ but they are adding a new overhead to storing files on HFS+. It's going to be something like a database file structure that stores your files. Sort of how like Novell stores files on Netware 5 and 6 and how the Be file system was.

MS is moving in this direction as well. At this point in the speed of the current G4's it doesn't do much for the consumer models but for something like XServe, it is great. It will mean slower file system access but for something like a server that is not an issue.

Not sure what the benefits are but im sure if it's meant for enterprise file servers then its something I probably don't understand yet and will have to do my research on. Probably helps in the recovery of data for those people who "accidently" deletey everything in their home directory.

Also it probably assists in the storing of files across multiple platforms and filesystems. So that when a PC users stores a file on a Mac Serever the name dosn't get all gobbly gooped up. Since it's a database it will store all the characters and file information in a nice neat little package and make it easier for a mac person to read the file on their end without storing all that resource information or losing resource information when copying to the server (like the icon or the file type etc.)

The benefits are that when your system crashes or you shutdown improperly, you don't have systemwide file corruption.

It doesn't help in recovering accidentally deleted data. It doesn't assist in accessing files across multiple file systems.

HFS+ does not write a file's meta-data immediately. So lets say you copy some files from your Desktop to your Home directory and suddenly your computer crashes or the power goes out. Chances are your files will be neither hear no there and likely corrupt and inaccessable. Even though your files were successfully copied to the directory, their inodes, link counts, block size, etc were not successfully written.

A JFS writes all file changes to a log as they are taking place. If your system was to crash, during reboot, your system would accesses that log and restore everything up to the exact point of the crash. This greatly minimizes lost data and file corruption. No incorrect block sizes, inodes, link counts, etc.

With JFS, OS X will stay leaner and meaner and people will be less likely to have their system take four minutes to reboot and slowdown considerably overall.

What this "updated file system" essentially means is that, for one thing, if your computer crashes/is not shut down properly/loses power, it won't spend a year at the grey Apple screen anymore, since there's not a need for the system to fsck itself. (That's a UNIX command. :D Sorry, but I can't phrase it any better...) The entire file system has sort of an undo, to my understanding. Therefore, if any file corruption occurs at a restart, the computer just has a log stored that it can revert files to.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :p I don't want to have untrue information.

Its not an "undo" you can invoke manually. Basically when you boot, your system compares is current state with the JFS log and makes any necessary changes.

This is a lot quicker than fsck scanning every single system file, deleting and cleaning them up.

It doesn't "revert" as if there was something there at one point that isn't anymore. It just fills in the missing data that for one reason or another, had yet to be written to disk.

Originally posted by Ricky
What this "updated file system" essentially means is that, for one thing, if your computer crashes/is not shut down properly/loses power, it won't spend a year at the grey Apple screen anymore, since there's not a need for the system to fsck itself.

Well, this doesn't make me the least bit happy. It was constantly taking forever to boot up, just as described, and it was spontaneously saying I needed to restart my computer. So I took it to my apple store and its gonna cost me..

50.00 for diagnosing the system
50.00 for backing up the harddrive
and 75.00 if its a software corruption.

And being that it is a software curruption, its gonna cost me a pretty penny x.x

Why don't you just backup your files and reinstall? That is all the Apple Store is going to do but charge your $175 in the process.

Whats it say? For some reason my computer wont let me access SpyMac.com Maybe it's protecting me!!

Twister

Originally posted by Ricky
What this "updated file system" essentially means is that, for one thing, if your computer crashes/is not shut down properly/loses power, it won't spend a year at the grey Apple screen anymore, since there's not a need for the system to fsck itself.

:D :D :D OHGOODY! finally! i've waited a long time for that moment to come! :)

Back