10.2.2 Is Here!

nope, not yet.

oh, and here's a bug in ichat that really gets my goat, and they still haven't fixed it:
let's say you get a new message. the little tiny window pops up and says "blahblahblah". then you can click on it and type a little response in it. when you hit enter, it automatically resizes, and then sends whatever text is in the box.
if you hit enter and then start typing more text, it ignores your first message and sends whatever you happened to type already once the window finishes expanding. that way, i always respond to peoples' messages like:
THEM: hello
ME: how's i
ME: t going.
ME: dang, ichat is annoying.

when i should have sent "hello" first and then "how's it going."

... it's hard to explain, and i'm a computer scientist, not a linguist, so yeah ^_^. maybe i'll make a video of it one day when i'm feelin' frisky.

as for now, i need to go find my goat.

Can't see anything new AND interesting in X.22.
Good question: what advantages for JFS ?

Last question: hey, this forum is back to the older GUI ??? :( Why :( ??? No more "Quick Reply" box...

Hello people...

Anyways, 10.2.2 seems zippier on both my system (or have they sent me a placebo)... apps seem to start up quicker, and less delay between clicking and menus dropping.

As for the journaling, it's to journal the hard drive as so if the system crashes it can reference back to the journal to restore itself (or words to that effect)... Apparently there is about a 10% performance trade off if you use it. Good for a server machine though.:)

about JFS: it's also good for a consumer machine. it's not an OVERALL 10% hit, you know. and i rather wait a second more while saving my photoshop work than having to redo the whole work again if i ever lock up my system totally and the harddrive can't recover it all.

the phrase "hasn't ever happened to me" won't solve your problem when it DOES happen to you. JFS does. ;)

about Speed Increase: usually, after upgrading a system, you'll notice some improvements in application launch and other parts of the system because of updated prebinding (the optimisation that happens on installing the update). i guess 10.2.2 didn't do much for performance, really.

Last posts from uoba and fryke are, as usual, clear and full of valuable info. Well done mates.

But, as I know nothing about JFS, may I ask for more precisions please ? I'm a "normal" Mac-intensive user, everyday work on Quark/Adobe, plus Carracho business, plus lots of browsing. Many many files on the HD, mostly MP3, much HD traffic hence. And many important files !

Is JFS a good solution, then, in your opinion ? How do I activate it ? What does it do exactly ? How does it work ? Useful URLs I could visit ? Thanx for any answers :D.

toast,

i think what Apple has done is right for different users. Apple doesn't enable it on OS X by default (and even no option in Disk Utilities) means normal user doesn't need to pay too much attention to it.

As far as I understand JFS (on HFS+ anyway), it basically allocates some harddisk memory to a file system cache. (8 MB by default.) This is where file structure changes are saved to. And on restart, after a crash, the actual file system's structure is compared with what the JFS cache knows.

There is a performance penalty on everything that involves the file system, apparently, but it shouldn't be too big. I have not encountered a massive penalty so far, so I'd say, the 10% figure might even be totally off.

There are no tests yet available on the web by people who are experienced in testing file systems, so maybe it would be better to wait for some O'Reilly or ArsTechnica article or something like that.

However, I think the current default of _not_ using a JFS-type file system can't be seen as good enough.

FWIW, I turned it on, and I haven't noticed any difference in application launch speed. I haven't done any tests on disk I/O so I can just say, that I haven't noticed any difference in speed on a G4 400.

wow!! hierarchial menu items from the dock are almost instant now! now no more comments from windows people about how fast their start menu is in comparison :rolleyes:

I just installed 10.2.2 last night and shut down. This morning, after I started it up with 10.2.2 for the first time, my iBook didn't recognize my external firewire HD. Also, the buttons that controll the screen brightness (and double as F1 and F2 buttons) don't work anymore, but the ones right next to them that controll sound (and F3,4, and 5) work like usual. Anyone else have these problems? Thanks,

-Wilx

I don't have an external Firewire HD so I couldn't tell you but my screen and sound controls work just fine from the keyboard.

I have an iBook as well.

Just installed it....everything seem to be alot faster.
My mac is a G3 333mhz, 384 megs BTW

I think I could safely say that I'm up to about 75 to 80 percent of the speed I get in OS 9, now.

I gave feedback to Apple on their website about the text on web pages that disappeared. They fixed it in this version. I was happy to see that they were listening.

I don't know if it was an issue with older Macs or not. I don't know how much of it had to do with Quartz Extreme being supported or not.

All I know is that the text doesn't disappear from my weblog anymore when using ANY version of Netscape, Mozilla, or Chimera. It affected all of them on my system. It also affected Internet Explorer. I had to turn off the text smoothing in I.E. to keep the words from disappearing.

For another example, the text is not disappearing as I type this. It used to. It kind of makes it hard to write posts on a weblog or forum if the words and sentences disappear as you type them. ;)

Also, iChat does seem to be a bit more responsive than it was. I had problems with it for a while, too. Sometimes, you would be sending instant messages like mad, and they would never be seen. This goes for incoming instant messages as well. I haven't used it enough, though, since 10.2.2 was posted, to know if they fixed all of the bugs in it.

Overall, for my system, 10.2.2 was a much-needed upgrade. It fixed bugs I have had for two months.

Thank you, Apple. :)

I had switched to using Chimera most of the time because of the way that IE wouldn't completely render some pages unless I clicked "refresh". That problem seems to be gone now; not that i like MS that much but for some sites it almost seemed like you had to use IE. A small improvement but welcome.:)

Back