10.2.4 and slow burning superdrive

ultrapod

Registered
i have a 15" 800 mhz flat panel imac with a superdrive, and ever since i upgraded to 10.2.4 i can only burn dvd-r media at 1x and cd-r media at 4x - before the upgrade i was burning at 2x and 8x, respectively. i haven't made a media switch, either - i'm using media off of the same exact spindles i was using before the upgrade. this happens with toast 5.2, itunes 3.0.1, and disk copy so i don't think its an application issue. any ideas? i'm baffled!

It's annoying, but you should probably downgrade to the latest stable version, as 10.2.4 seems to come with more bugs than it fixes.

Have you upgraded your firmware to the latest version? I seem to remember some superdrive issue that's resolved by an update...

yeah, the firmware has been updated - that was supposed to be for an issue regarding burning high-speed media.

i think i am going to have to downgrade, when i get a few spare hours to sit down and focus on it. bummer. at least i can still burn discs...

From Apple (http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/):

Will this update enable my 2x SuperDrive to write at a higher speed?
This update enables you to read from and write to the new media, but it does not increase the speed of the drive. In fact, the updated 2x SuperDrive writes to this new media at 1x. So to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today.

Back