10.2.4 killed RAM

type11

Registered
After upgrading to 10.2.4 my system only recognized 704mb of the 960mb installed ram.

Running the System Profiler revealed that the 256DIMM in the 2nd slot wasn't being recoginzed and was listed as 'empty'.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

G4/400 AGP

Try removing the ram and reinstalling. I have 1.25Gb and didn't lose any after the 10.2.4 update.

After removing and reinstalling all of the DIMMS, the system now recognizes all of the ram.

thanks bobw

I was blitzed, too. Down to 256 from 512. I've switched the DIMMs in my TiBook: Problem gone. But it's still a drag. Some people might not even NOTICE that they've lost some RAM in the process of updating. I got plenty of mail on macnews.net.tc about the problem, so I guess this problem is more widely spread that this thread shows... Shouldn't happen, really shouldn't happen. Wonder whether a zap-PRAM would have helped, too.

Wow. Just coming back from a Kernel Panic (without really having done anything, out of the blue). And guess what. Down to 256 again... Now I can test the PRAM-Zapping. :/

UPDATE: Zapping the PRAM works fine to restore the RAM. I hope my kernel won't panic again, though... Hasn't happen in months now... (until today)

I had the same problem on my TiBook...from 768 down to 256. Zapping the PRAM took care of my problem as well, but I haven't had any kernel panics like Fryke.

-Juxel

just curious, out of all you who have had problems losing partial ram, how many had 2 different brands of ram in? i used to get kernal panics and other bs until i bought 2 sticks of 256 of the same very cheap brand ($24 genric at fry's) and haven't had problems since - knock on whatever is handy.

I purchased all my ram from Apple, so it had better all be the same brand:eek:

It only happened once, and I didn't even have to lift the keyboard up to get it working. The simple Zapping of the PRAM corrected it and I haven't had any problems since.

-Juxel

Buying your RAM from someone who is not manufacturing RAM but computers is the best way to have different providers !

Mine was from two different makers (Siemens AND Kensington). Guess that _could_ be a reason, though I wonder why this only started after the 10.2.4 upgrade. Too bad, I guess... Well, I'm getting a new iBook soon, so... I'll just work with 256 for now.

Back