10.2.4 resets date+time on startup...

ArneK

Registered
Upgraded my dual 1GHz yesterday to 10.2.4, and I notice now that every time I start up my Mac the time and date has been reset (Jan 1st 1970, 01am).

I now have to set the correct time every time I have started up my Mac.

Anyone else experienced this?

Me too! Resets to December 31, 1969, and I have a new machine that had no problem with the date until yesterday's upgrade!

How does one find the preference file to trash it? Do you trash it and then reboot? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Originally posted by bobw
Try tashing the preference file;

com.apple.MenuBarClock.plist

Forget it, I figured it out. Seems to work for now. Thank you (again) for saving my ass!:D

Originally posted by audi_dover
I'm new to OS X, can anyway give me a detailed steps on tashing the preference file?

thank you

Command-F is the easiest way... or look in /Library/Preferences/ (although I think it is a hidden file, so it won't necessarily show up there) but if you search for it that's where it is located.

Well, now I have tried to trash the preference file, but still no improvement. I still have to set the time manually after startup.

And today I also upgraded my other Mac to 10.2.4 - and the same has happened! Can't be the clock battery... dying on two Mac's just after upgrading!

I'm having the same problem since installing 10.2.4 on my G4 Dual Processor 800.

If it were a battery problem would it not also affect other PRAM settings such as Time Zone, Mouse Track Speed, etc., etc.?

I deleted the com.apple.MenuBarClock.plist preference file and it still resets the date & time.

I found the pref file (did a find for "clock") and dragged it to the trash, then rebooted. The time was still wrong, of course, on the "new" time menu bar, but once I changed it and rebooted, it has held ever since. Just got up and booted and it still holds. For those who trashed the file and rebooted and still have the "old" time and date, try correcting it one last time.

Thanks to the moderator or whomever suggested trashing that file.

I sent a big missive to Apple about this. Hopefully they'll start seeing this as an issue to deal with.

Just got off the phone with AppleCare support. This is a known issue with update 10.2.4. They are working on it (checks in the mail) and there is no ETA yet for a forthcoming fix.
Their suggestion was to use the network time server, which is a pain with a dialup connection that isn't on all the time, so I guess I'll just leave the computer on.

Bev Martin

I said it worked to delete the pref file. Well...it worked for a couple of days. Now it's messed up again.

A thought just ocurred to me...

The updates to Jaguar don't replace every single file in your System and Library folders. Otherwise, the updates would be much bigger. Perhaps, you could run a clean install of 10.2 and replace the files in the 10.2.4 System folder (such as com.apple.MenuBarClock.plist or anything else possibly relevant) that affect these settings. When I had to downgrade from 10.2.3 to 10.2, I moved many "updated" files into the new System and Library folders without causing any problems, so this may solve some issues. Then again, it may not, but it can't hurt to try. (Be sure to only install the base components-you don't need to reinstall BSD or the language files again.)

Back