10.2.5 won't stop crashing! What to do?

EricDoggett

Registered
I installed the 10.2.5 update smoothly (dual 450) - no problems. Now, however, the machine will not stay stable for more than about 5 minutes!! I get the grey-wash/you need to restart your computer (in several languages) image!

What to do??

I don't have any hacks - hell the only thing listed in the login items panel are:

ms mouse helper
ati monitor helper

I killed the pid's of those processes after bootup, thinking that might have been the problem, but alas, it still happens - even with no application running! Just let it sit, and sure enough within 5 minutes - total crash!

Any ideas? Can I rollback to 10.2.4 in some way? This is very depressing :(

Thanks,

Eric Doggett

Ok, reading some posts on the offical apple discussion boards, some people are having the same problem. There may be an issue with certain usb devices and/or hubs under 10.2.5.

I've unplugged my belkin hub and am waiting to see if it kernel panics again..

Eric

WOW! Your in a rut. Try runing fsck.

1. Restart Computer
2. Hold down Apple-S
3. Then a black will come up and you will see a bunch of computer lingo.
4. Wait about a min. (to make sure it is all done loading)
5. Type in fsck -y (There is a space between fsck and -y) and press enter.
6. Then it will start to repair things. If it says use -f (force) than do it (fsck -f)
7. After its done it will say that everything was repard on that partition. but if it doesn't than just keep runing it. I have not had to run it more than once, but other people have said that you can run it more than once.
8. type in exit to return to Mac OS X
9. Hope ::ha::

Ok, on the Apple board, some guy is suggesting the following:
-----------------------------------
To solve this replace the file
/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHub.kext

with the one from 10.2.4 .

No Kernel Panic so far.

The USB Hub used is a no name 7 Port hub (Product ID:1540 Vendor ID: 1507)

Just after writing the above I've got the same Panic again.
You've got to replace the whole IOUSBFamily.kext with the one from 10.2.4
-----------------------------------

The question is - how do you replace this? Do you download 10.2.4 combo updater? Where would this file be?

Here's the location for the 10.2.4 combined archive:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=70168

From what I've read if you replace:

AppleUSBHub.kext

with the 10.2.4 version in the directory:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

everything will be better if USB was causing the crashes.

I haven't tried yet, the archive is still downloading and I need to remember the name of the silly package that extracts contents from a dmg.

Never underestimate the power of 'weak' RAM. On my Ex-Ti-Book, I've had a 256 MB DIMM that worked well until 10.2.3. Afterwards, it would suddenly give me kernel panics (that gray screen...) from time to time, sometimes would not be noticed by the system after a reboot (but sometimes it did...). If you have more than one DIMM in your Mac, try removing one brick, then moving it back in and taking the other one out... Only because other users have problems with USB hubs, this doesn't have to be the reason for your own worries...

I had the same problem with the gray screen. So I ran the fsck and it seem to fix it. But I have a scanner on my system and I have to restart the ubit over agan to use it.
I have a Cannon lide 30 and have to use the adapter, becuase if I hook it to the unit it tells me that I do not have enough power to use it.
That gray screen can be quite annoying. It happen to me twice last night.
Al
akurwelnz7@mac.com

Back